Sign in to follow this  
koroth

Nautical Compass

always a +1 from me.

I would not object to a sextant / astrolabe device either, with the appropriate skill, allowing a dot (a large dot at first, down to something around 1/3 of a map square at very high skill with a very high QL tool) on the in game minimap, as that would be consistent with the precision such devices would have given.

Enough to let you get a rough idea where you are in the oceans, but not so much as to be a GPS.  Attach them to the boat and require them to be used from the command position to keep people from using them inland very much. lol

• Like 1

+1 for boat compass

-1 for smartphone with GPS :)

The smartphone made me laugh out loud and +1 for the idea of ship based compass.

Edited by TheTashman

Wikipedia:

"Modern compasses usually use a magnetized needle or dial inside a capsule completely filled with a liquid (lamp oil, mineral oil, white spirits, purified kerosene, or ethyl alcohol is common)."

-Our olive oil is probably the best thing at the moment.

Wikipedia:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binnacle

"A binnacle is a waist-high case or stand on the deck of a ship, generally mounted in front of the helmsman, in which navigational instruments are placed for easy and quick reference as well as to protect the delicate instruments. Its traditional purpose was to hold the ship's magnetic compass, mounted in gimbals to keep it level while the ship pitched and rolled."

-a 'floating compass'

I see a lot of discussion on map functionality and navigation skills; I have an idea for a cartography skill:

http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/120965-cartography/#entry1240572

Some kind of compass that does not involve a liquid. A rocking boat will make a liquid suspended compass useless. Unless...would totally immersing the needle in clear liquid make it usable? +1

Oh, and for the record. An opinion is personal and biased by default. Calling a person's opinion personally biased is redundant and used only to attack or belittle the person presenting the opinion.

Edited by Sarcaticous

Some kind of compass that does not involve a liquid. A rocking boat will make a liquid suspended compass useless.

• Like 1

You know that show "Vikings".  Didn't they use like a sunstone and a rudimentary compass which was nothing more than a piece of wood with some magnetized metal floating in a bowl, to navigate vast ocean distances?  Or maybe it was a sun dial kinda compass?  I can't remember now...

Our 'tech in Wurm is even better than this with our pocket compasses.  +1 to this suggestion. 

+1 for boat compass, maybe attachable to xxql boats, and readable by players with xx skill in xx.

7 hours ago, Greyfox said:

Just moore the boat and let the compass settle......

220px-Demi_Moore_by_David_Shankbone.jpg

1 hour ago, Mordraug said:
8 hours ago, Greyfox said:

Just moore the boat and let the compass settle......

220px-Demi_Moore_by_David_Shankbone.jpg

-1 to adding new tools<_<.. rather keep the compass and have it update sooner as we move slowly or moor 1-2 times.. than add another item to show directions; what's the real problem to have some OP constant compass on the HUD anyway? client-side should probably have some sort of positioning, will it be too much to ask for the pocket compass to remain on the HUD and update as the boat moves?

+1, i would like to see this item as an attachable item to ship. So each ship you could attach a nautical compass to. Q of compass would determine how often it works - high Q always working.