Sign in to follow this  
Propheteer

Suggestions, Oversights, and Bugs

Just a list. Here's the below in google doc form if you don't like the Wurm Forums.

i gave up formatting it properly halfway through, ill come back and proofread it in a few, but the information is there. I'd also like to point out if a category seems pointless, there was more info there that i decided to remove prior to posting.

Examine -

Deeds:

When you examine a token, it tells you the number of guards and the number of traders attributed to the deed. You should also add it so it displays the size of the deed.

Body:

Make it say the same information that examining another player does, so you can see your own village.

Change [00:23:55] He is very strong and has a good reserve of fat. to [00:23:55] You are very strong and have a good reserve of fat.

Change [00:23:55] A body. to [00:23:55] Your body.

Submenus -

Although most of these are pretty pointless, one of the things i never understood is why isn’t everything Team related in a submenu?

Teams are often used for raids, and its frustrating when you go to dig and you click remove from team.

Team Up, Manage Team, Make Team, and Remove from Team should all be put in a Team submenu, Remove from Team should also be changed to Leave Team.

Drop submenu needs to be removed from everything besides sand and dirt, its a pointless submenu.

Kingdoms -

A lot of the kingdom titles have capitalization errors, those capitalization errors look more out of place when some of the titles are capitalized. IMO, they would look nicer if they were fixed, so ill list below.

Kingdom Name/Template

Current ---> What it needs to be

Jenn-Kellon:

Information minister ---> Information Minister

Court magus ---> Court Magus

Court smith ---> Court Smith

Chief of economy ---> Chief of Economy

Royal priest ---> Royal Priest

Royal lover ---> Royal Lover

Royal avenger ---> Royal Avenger

Royal cook ---> Royal Cook

Mol-Rehan:

Head of the secret police ---> Head of the Secret Police

Court magus ---> Court Magus

Defense advisor ---> Defense Advisor

Court smith ---> Court Smith

Economic advisor ---> Economic Advisor

Religious advisor ---> Religious Advisor

Court chef ---> Court Chef

Horde of the Summoned:

Party fixer ---> Party Fixer

Chief of the cabal ---> Chief of the Cabal

(pretty certain that for the female version that hostess needs to be capitalized as well.)

Other Kingdom Stuff:

All crowns robes need models. It is misleading to see a person wearing no chest or head, particularly in situations where they hop the borders between home servers and elevation because king items do not transfer to home servers, resulting in people not knowing if the king forgot to re-equip his items.

King Titles should be worn as a champion title

e.g. Archmage Rolf the Free [Farmer] [Chancellor]

Champions can still currently try for king on the King Cobra, Lady in the Lake, and Sword in the Stone.

Champions -

Currently, champions get reduced skillgain on homeservers on epic because it doesn’t recognize the enemy homeservers as enemy influence, thus you never entered enemy territory to get your normal skillgain again.

Champions on homeservers are also restricted to 30 power casts on enemy homeservers for the same reason, thus rendering champion nothing more than a free shield of the gone as they are useless as priests at that point.

Spellcasting -

Spell Overheating currently has no visual notification on the buffbar, it just uses the same icon as something else and can go into the negative numbers.

Certain buffs and AOE’s need visual notifiers. You should be able to see when someone has oakshell, thornshell, or bearpaws, just as you should be able to see when someone has casted Pain Rain, Light of Fo, Scorn of Libila or Tentacles.

PvP Spell Casts (Any damage abilities, genesis on zombies, land of the dead, zombie infestation, and heals on players.) should be moved into the Combat tab as they are important to Combat and not much else.

Light of Fo and other heals currently don’t overheat you in combat.

Containers -

First off, something every other game but Wurm was able to accomplish is, when dragging items onto a stack of containers, when the first container is full, it should automatically fill the second container, and so on so forth.

When moving items from BSBS to things like crates, or other BSBs, you shouldn’t have to constantly drag and hit okay. Even holding down shift and enter and dragging is absurd.  Theres no need to develop carpal tunnel syndrome when you are trying to relocate your stash of onions. A simple way to fix this would be to make it so dragging from one container to another transfer everything dragged, and holding down shift and dragging would let you select how much to move.

Catapulting -

Players should be allowed to type in a number of winches when catapulting and a repeat last action when catapulting as well, having to winch 10, 10, 5, and then winch 4 is just a bunch of pointless clicking for no reason, and winching numbers that high is REALLY common nowadays due to the elevation changes when catapulting.

A super repetitive action like this, especially when people will be repairing against you calls for some keybinds as well.

(Just to note, if you really don’t think this is necessary, try to catapult for an hour by yourself or with a friend while having 3-4 people repairing against you doing a 25-35 winch due to the elevation of what you are attempting to hit.)

Lockpicking -

As it stands, there isn’t a big difference between having 70 lockpicking and 90. A 90ql boat with a 90ql lock will net you about a 1% chance to pick at 70 and 90 lockpicking. With only one person being able to lockpick, and lockpicking being such a hard grind, taking around 50 minutes on average to pick into that unless you get lucky, that is simply unnecessary. (And more often than not, RNG will result with you picking into things for several hours.)

When you lockpick a gate, its supposed to be on a set timer. That timer is supposed to go down by 1 second every second, instead it goes down by 2 seconds every second.

After lockpicking a gate, it will randomly lock and not even follow the timer. It’s currently not even working and needs to be addressed.

Locks -

Making high quality locks is already difficult as it is (around 10% chance just to get a 95ql+ lock with 97ql rare anvil and 99 effective locksmithing). If you're lucky enough to pick into something which had a high quality lock attached to it then it immediately becomes useless as you're unable to use it without the corresponding key (which 99% of the time you won't be finding the key in the container). Lockpicking is allowed on pvp servers so there shouldn't be a need for someone to have the key in order to lock something since it could always get picked again.

Mobs -

All of the sounds for the new ones needs to be looked at, i don’t understand why seals have snake sounds.

Mobcaps should be limited by mob, not by type of mob. For example, nobody hunts sharks, why should the aggro cap be half full of sharks preventing anything else from spawning when you could just stop sharks from spawning. Doing this would also open a window where you could increase certain types of mobs on freedom and certain types of mobs on PvP servers.

Minor Oversights -

I feel as if these were overlooked in testing, but i’ll list them regardless.

Special moves currently make you too vulnerable to use, and even if you do manage to get it off, the stamina you lost really wasn’t worth losing, and the damage you deal is negligible.

Minedoors and Collapse systems -

Minedoors could use some looking at, specifically on-deed steel minedoors.

A 90ql, or 9000 strength steel minedoor on deed will take about 2 damage a bash for the majority of its strength. 9000 strength divided by 2 damage results in 4500 actions, 4500 actions times the 30 seconds it takes to bash is 135000 seconds, or 2,250 minutes which is 37.5 hours to bash for a single person.

Now lets apply this math to a practical situation that typically happens when you raid a deed.

You are raiding Little Tim’s homestead. Little Tim has a mine entrance, a mine entrance typically involves two doors. Now, he’s no noob, hes slightly more experienced than your average joe and knew that the easiest way to raid his deed would be through his mine system, so he invested in two 90ql steel minedoors.

Thats two 9000 strength steel minedoors. Lets say you have 15 people raiding his deed, since you will do about 2 damage per bash, you will be doing 30 damage per 30 seconds. It ends up being about five hours of work for both doors.

Do keep in mind that while you are raiding his deed by bashing in, he can just collapse the tile in front of the minedoor and reinforce it, thus preventing you from entering the deed in that manner. On the chance he didn’t collapse the tunnel, you wouldve had spend five hours bashing both doors in order to exit the deed. Just to put emphasis, that is FIVE hours worth of work just to secure a path in and out of the deed, provided nobody is defending it and not including the time it takes to get into the buildings and get a drain and fighting the templars. (Lets also note that most people don’t have the time to do that.)

Let’s also consider the fact that little timmy is a smart boy, and has backup plans, something like a safemine, that is also a 90ql steel minedoor with a collapse system where he put all the stuff he didnt log off with in. Thats another two and a half hours to bash into that, and then another few hours disintegrating the tile provided we managed to get the drain.

This might be kinda off topic but take into account that gold mine doors decay as fast as rock mine doors (not sure if this is a bug and is also the same for steel mine doors, though our off deed gold mine door went from 9100 to 7000 in about a month). And it is a huge pain in the ass to maintain them.

Miscellaneous -

The Blacklight currently does not create mycelium as its not considered horde influence, it looks weird, especially to noobs having the most religious item in BL having no mycelium around it.

Shield of the Gone only reduces natural healing ticks, not healing from anything else.

At the end of this, i would like to make note that eventually Wurm is going to run into a wall where needing a divide in the code between PvP and PvE will be necessary, i feel like it would be wiser to go ahead and start developing that instead of waiting for a large screw up to happen.

Edited by Propheteer
  • Like 12

Lockpicking -

As it stands, there isn’t a big difference between having 70 lockpicking and 90. A 90ql boat with a 90ql lock will net you about a 1% chance to pick at 70 and 90 lockpicking. With only one person being able to lockpick, and lockpicking being such a hard grind, taking around 50 minutes on average to pick into that unless you get lucky, that is simply unnecessary. (And more often than not, RNG will result with you picking into things for several hours.)

When you lockpick a gate, its supposed to be on a set timer. That timer is supposed to go down by 1 second every second, instead it goes down by 2 seconds every second.

After lockpicking a gate, it will randomly lock and not even follow the timer. It’s currently not even working and needs to be addressed.

Locks -

Making high quality locks is already difficult as it is (around 10% chance just to get a 95ql+ lock with 97ql rare anvil and 99 effective locksmithing). If you're lucky enough to pick into something which had a high quality lock attached to it then it immediately becomes useless as you're unable to use it without the corresponding key (which 99% of the time you won't be finding the key in the container). Lockpicking is allowed on pvp servers so there shouldn't be a need for someone to have the key in order to lock something since it could always get picked again.

Is the numbers off with the mine doors? because the as you damage the minedoor it takes more damage and is quicker to destroy. Or did i miss that consideration in your calculations.

Is the numbers off with the mine doors? because the as you damage the minedoor it takes more damage and is quicker to destroy. Or did i miss that consideration in your calculations.

If you take the time to bash a steel door, you will notice that the damage scaling is pretty negligible up until about 2000 strength.

You will be spending over 2 hours on the door, even with scaling.

Edited by Propheteer

A lot of this sounds great but to say no one hunts sharks.. Well that is just a lie... I wish sharks would spawn on xanadu so I didnt have to travel to other servers for them.  :(

Edited by Ruger

A lot of this sounds great but to say no one hunts sharks.. Well that is just a lie... I wish sharks would spawn on xanadu so I didnt have to travel to other servers for them.  :(

On epic, nobody kills sharks outside of missions, which is why i said introduce an individual animal limit.

When 3/4ths of the aggros on a server is sharks, you know there is an issue.

A lot of these are really valid points and I couldn't agree more.

However when speaking about higher tier mine doors you have to take into account that not only you need huge amounts high quality of steel/gold lumps, but also high blacksmithing skill. Even then it takes way too much time to make them.

This might be kinda off topic but take into account that gold mine doors decay as fast as rock mine doors (not sure if this is a bug and is also the same for steel mine doors, though our off deed gold mine door went from 9100 to 7000 in about a month). And it is a huge pain in the ass to maintain them.

Edited by Edvinas

A lot of these are really valid points and I couldn't agree more.

However when speaking about higher tier mine doors you have to take into account that not only you need huge amounts high quality of steel/gold lumps, but also high blacksmithing skill. Even then it takes way too much time to make them.

I meant on deed, not off-deed if i didn't clarify that.

We have a few steel doors on our deed and they have taken pretty much no damage since we created them a good while ago. (i also noted what you listed in the thread above just now.)

also, steel is harder to bash than gold/silver iirc?

Edited by Propheteer

I meant on deed, not off-deed if i didn't clarify that.

We have a few steel doors on our deed and they have taken pretty much no damage since we created them a good while ago. (i also noted what you listed in the thread above just now.)

also, steel is harder to bash than gold/silver iirc?

I believe steel and gold mine doors are equivalent in strength, there was a word going around that gold doors decay much slower however from my observations it appears to be the total opposite (though I'm not sure about steel doors if they decay as fast as gold ones).

Shield Bashing:

In order to Shield Bash someone you have to be using Aggressive Stance.

If the person you are attempting to bash is in Defensive Stance they can't be bashed.

Most people use Normal Stance so this will add some variety as well as giving a rock/paper/scissors type counter to a over used tactic

• Like 1

Shield Bashing:

In order to Shield Bash someone you have to be using Aggressive Stance.

If the person you are attempting to bash is in Defensive Stance they can't be bashed.

Most people use Normal Stance so this will add some variety as well as giving a rock/paper/scissors type counter to a over used tactic

I like this suggestion, but might not make it impossible to bash someone in defensive, just quiet a lot harder? Scale the difficulty for these stances.

I (being only a pve player) would be perfectly happy seeing any and all of these come up on the release notes. +1

• Like 1

Yes steel mine doors are extremely strong but they use a decay system where at 90ql it's 2 damage a hit and at 50ql it's around 20dmg (I think) and nearly 100 damage at 20ql. It goes down slowly but not as showy as your math puts it.

Steel mine door should be hard to bash because people love to grief mines and there should be a way to protect against that. It works fine as is

Yes steel mine doors are extremely strong but they use a decay system where at 90ql it's 2 damage a hit and at 50ql it's around 20dmg (I think) and nearly 100 damage at 20ql. It goes down slowly but not as showy as your math puts it.

Steel mine door should be hard to bash because people love to grief mines and there should be a way to protect against that. It works fine as is

Edited by Propheteer

Still it's really annoying when 10 people walk up, bash down a 70ql stone mine door and strong wall a reinforced mine shut that took weeks or months to make in under 20 mins. Then you have to spend 4s on a deed (the fastest way to open it back up) or use a spell that works 0.05% of the time (I spend 14+ hours with 2 top end priests and it didn't even work).

There should be a way to secure work that takes months to make in a way where it takes real effort to break in.

Also mine doors can be bashed in parallel with out ant draw backs. If you need to open one up just ask some friends and even steel mine doors come down fast. If mine doors are to be nurfed there should at least be a system added where the more players that bash at one time the less damage each player does. So with 1 person 100% damage, 5 people 75% each, 10 people 60% each. So like a crowding debuf effect. Although I still see no reason to change it. The system already works fine as it is.

As for the rest of the suggestion I like it a lot

Edited by blayze

KanePT, on 1 Sept 2014 - 7:05AM, said:

+1 to all except the shield bashing thing.

Shields are a defensive item, and as such should be at their utmost useabllity in defensive mode forcing it to use Aggressive mode to be able to shield bash is illogic. Sure Wurm could use a bit more interactive combat, but that isn't really the best start.

I completely agree with you in the fact that shields are a defensive item and should be at their utmost usability in defensive mode. This is why in order to do something offensive with them, such as shield bash, you would need to alter your stance to aggressive.

However since as you pointed out, shields are a defensive item, being in defensive mode would trump the unusual aggressive action of a bash and block it.

On PvE servers this wouldn't have any effect as the mobs do not bash. On the PvP servers it would encourage player interaction and players could develop some individuality training other fighting stances.

Edited by Nosyt
  • Like 1

I completely agree with you in the fact that shields are a defensive item and should be at their utmost usability in defensive mode. This is why in order to do something offensive with them, such as shield bash, you would need to alter your stance to aggressive.

However since as you pointed out, shields are a defensive item, being in defensive mode would trump the unusual aggressive action of a bash and block it.

On PvE servers this wouldn't have any effect as the mobs do not bash. On the PvP servers it would encourage player interaction and players could develop some individuality training other fighting stances.

But that's the thing. Bashing, and therefore stunning, is under the category of CC (Crowd control) and is both defensive and agressive. And since its done with the shield, and the shield being a defensive weapon, i maintain that its not logical to force a change of stance to agressive to use it, specially when agressive stance kinda makes the shield useless altogether, since that stance forgoes defense (so i assume you won't block nearly as much).

Plus if you think about it in a 2v1 situation, for example, usually the one being targeted would play defensive and the other one would play offensive. In that situation, allowing the one not taking damage to be the one that can use CC is kind of OP. What needs to happen is what kinda happens already is that taking damage cancels that, and if you're the one using defense mode, and you're the one that can bash, then you'll be the one risking a fumble because you're being focused.

Same way when you're being tag teamed, being able to defend and still CC is one of the ways you can try to escape, or even win.

What you might want to do is have stuff replacing shield bash with other weapon choices. making them more viable.

I guess I'm having a hard time following your logic. I think we both agree that a shield is a defensive item but...

The second you use your shield as a weapon and smash someone in the face with it, it becomes aggressive (hence having to change mentalities and jump from defensive to aggressive).

When you are aggressively bashing someone with your defensive item (shield) you will no longer be using it defensively and will be less likely to block with it (you block less in aggressive stance than in defensive stance).

Most people don't use Aggressive or Defensive stances in PvP but simply stick with Normal (the best of both worlds).

Aggressive stance: You use your shield to attempt to stun people but block less

Normal stance: You don't open yourself up to extra attacks but are not using your shield to attempt to stun others (your characteristics decide if you get knocked over by an attempted bash as it currently works)

Defensive stance: You are focused on defense and will be able to block or avoid any attempted bashes yet you don't hit as hard or often

Edited by Nosyt

Its not like you grab the shield with both hands and bash him in the face. What you do is more of a Shoulder charge with the shield, pushing the enemy into the ground to "stun him".

Like i said its both a defensive and a offensive action, and it makes more sense to use when you're hiding behind the shield (and thus in defensive stance) than when you're pressing your enemy by attacking agressively without regards to blocking (which is agressive stance).

Now that away. The only reason we're discussing this is because you're assuming (and rightfully) that in PvP everyone will use a shield and a sword, and normal attack. Which means the problem here isn't how shield bash works, but the fact that combat isn't balanced enough to allow for actual choice.