Sign in to follow this  
RedBaron_Johan

Join in testing the "Fences in Arched Walls" feature!

Would really like to see tall iron fences and gates incorporated, if possible (especially gates).  

They are too high.

Just went on test, signs are made which give you all the resources to build houses and fences you need.

Skills can still be set by rightclicking the ground with an item activated in your inventory (rbings up that spawn armour and whatnot window)

A helpfull GM even made a building full of arched walls for people to try out fencing right away.

Just went on quick after updating my test client to see if my test client ran ok, will be back this evening to give fences some good testing :D

Good to know. Ive gone on there a couple times to test and just given up. Will jump on there as well in a bit.

Just tested for some minutes, but this is what I noticed so far:

The collider of the walls is too high. If I'm on top of a 1x1 house and walls are build in arched walls under it, I can not fall off the roof.

So it's like there is a invisible wall.

I hope you can understand what I mean.

Edit:

Same with attacking - I can't attack from roof if there are walls under it.

Edited by Army

Just tested for some minutes, but this is what I noticed so far:

The collider of the walls is too high. If I'm on top of a 1x1 house and walls are build in arched walls under it, I can not fall off the roof.

So it's like there is a invisible wall.

I hope you can understand what I mean.

Yes, and that's the reason why not allowed fences in middle of houses.

Ahh ok.

Whats about the attacking thing?

I like attacking trolls from roof - this is not possible if there are walls under it.

Test #1: PvE from floors above engaging stuff below

Wooden Arched Walls

Fence type:

-Wooden Fence:  Can target troll in test but wont engage nor does it take notice to you. Can target kyklops but wont engage and it does not notice you.

-Wooden Fence Gate: GM despawned Kyklops before it could be moved to other fences. Assumed to not work. Troll was moved to fence and could not be engaged from above.

-Crude Wooden Fence: GM despawned Kyklops before it could be moved to other fences. Assumed to not work. Troll was moved to fence and could not be engaged from above

-Crude Wooden Fence Gate: GM despawned Kyklops before it could be moved to other fences. Assumed to not work. Troll was moved to fence and could not be engaged from above

Test  #2: PvP from floors above

Wooden Arched Walls

Fence type:

-Wooden Fence: Archery down. Works. Archery up. Works. Melee targeting down works but actually engaging does not work.

-Wooden Fence Gate: Archery down. Works. Archery up. Works. Melee targeting down works but actually engaging does not work.

-Crude Wooden Fence: Archery down. Works. Archery up. Works. Melee targeting down works but actually engaging does not work.

-Crude Wooden Fence Gate: Archery down. Works. Archery up. Works. Melee targeting down works but actually engaging does not work.

Test #3: PvP from bottoms floors through the fences.

Wooden Arched Walls

Fence type:

-Wooden Fence: Archery out works. Archery in works. Melee targeting through does not engage.

-Wooden Fence Gate: Archery out works. Archery in works. Melee targeting through does not engage.

-Crude Wooden Fence: Archery out works. Archery in works. Melee targeting through does not engage.

-Crude Wooden Fence Gate: Archery out works. Archery in works. Melee targeting through does not engage.

Test #4: Locked gates

-If friend is on writ without the key to the locked gate they cannot pass the gate. If the gate is locked, I have the writ but I do not have the keys to the gates I am unable to pass through the gates.

*Their are still other tests that I would like to do but unable to do so due to low body strength or unable to access those features. Will need continued GM assistance. Support ticket filed.*

Edited by Ruger

I am not a fan of having all the keys i always toss my gate keys so if you can get the gate locks to work with the writ settings that would be great.  I have not been able to test it on a deed but if the deed will handle it then that might work okay too, 

Would really like to see tall iron fences and gates incorporated, if possible (especially gates).  

Agrees! (You read my mind)

Iron fence bars across an arch sure would look cool.

:D

• Like 1

Not tested-  but i'm thinking this works just like normal fences (with their permissions and rules) Low type fences allow archery over them, but not mellee and tall fences don't allow either.

I'm guessing what Tich is doing is not locking the border tile with the wall, allowing to add a fence that gets mixed in the wall model -but the fence is actually a separate model.

The problems I foresee to this are:

*Managing writ permissions

*Deleting the building from writ would leave the  walls (edit) the fences on ground

*Catapulting the wall would still mean you also have to catapult or bash the fence (leading to essentially stronger walls)

(Also, no idea which will take dmg 1st, the fence or the wall)

*There's also a potential bug to be had with valrei mobs like eaglespirits that can pass over fences but not inside houses. This has got to be tested.

Edit2: It is known that fence gates can be lockpicked easier than house-doors. This will likely also apply here, so be warned.

Edited by KalinMenajin

catapults seems to hit all structures in the borders of the tile so idt only one will take dmg, but unless both are the exact same ql one can drop before the other one probably.

*There's also a potential bug to be had with valrei mobs like eaglespirits that can pass over fences but not inside houses. This has got to be tested.

They do go through house walls

Oh I thought they didn't. Or.. what was it? Mines? Yeh, sorry

(mumbles)

I'm sure there was some mob that could pass fences but not walls...

yes high iron gates would be cool but think it would require posts as a wall type to raise an arch to  multistorey for it to look any good especially on the masonry wall arches

If you look at the high iron gates and fences you will see that they are higher than house walls, thus they would stick up into the second floor. A whole new design would have to be created for this purpose.

If gates are built within arched walls on deed then I believe no keys would be required to be carried to be able to pass them. On test no deeds, thus keys must be carried. I also think it is fine that they are not set into the house writ for passage, since then on deed permissions will allow citizens to pass or not. Off deed for friends then yes a key must be made for them but just have them on the writ to enter it by some door.

=Ayes=

Answers to some of the questions above.

would the fence be destroyed with bashing the wall?  No

does fence portion get same writ protection as the wall? Not sure what you are asking
is the fence built into the existing arched wall or is this a new wall option/texture skin? built into it

That and does a catapult hit both the wall and the fence ? Should hit both

-does the fence gate act like any other fence gate on deed, or is writ dependant?  Like any other fence/gate

Would really like to see tall iron fences and gates incorporated, if possible (especially gates).  As other have said.. they are too tall.

I'm guessing what Tich is doing is not locking the border tile with the wall, allowing to add a fence that gets mixed in the wall model -but the fence is actually a separate model. Correct

if you can get the gate locks to work with the writ settings that would be great..Sorry but no

• Like 4

Tich I assume the "writ protection" being asked about by Leroy is if (on pve) they are protected from bashing like houses, or can be broken into like fences. This would determine whether or not you could consider it for a "secure" wall of your home.

Tich I assume the "writ protection" being asked about by Leroy is if (on pve) they are protected from bashing like houses, or can be broken into like fences. This would determine whether or not you could consider it for a "secure" wall of your home.

If a house is completed, arch walls counting, then the house is secure. You can make a building completely out of arched walls and the items inside are secure from being taken by writ-protections. 

The fence is not apart of the house;the fence is just another item built onto the tile border.

If a house is completed, arch walls counting, then the house is secure. You can make a building completely out of arched walls and the items inside are secure from being taken by writ-protections. 

The fence is not apart of the house;the fence is just another item built onto the tile border.

Yes but in cases where it's a donut house or gatehouse etc it's not the contents of the house you're using it to protect :-)

I'm assuming from what's been said this wouldn't be a safe use for the fences-in-arched-walls though.