Sign in to follow this  
Heboric

Has HFC been nerfed, or is it bugged?

Today I finally decided something must be wrong......

Starting from around 60.5 HFC skill I first cooked 520 meals of filet/pumpkin/potato (difficulty 63) in fryingpans +coin inside backpacks in 3 forges. (With sleepbonus)

Result - 0.963 skill gain......or 0.001859 gain per unit.

Next starting at around 61.6 skill I took pans out of the back packs and cooked 100 of the same recipe. (With sleepbonus)

Result - 0.27 skill gain......or 0.0027 gain per unit.

On the detailed chart from Mamadarkness a garlic and fish stew of only 14 difficulty in 1712 pans starting at 51.79 - gave a gain of 14.92 skill (ending at 66.71) for a unit gain of 0.0087, and the next batch - a meal of potato and meat of 37 difficulty starting at 66.71 gave a unit gain of 0.0057.

Her reported results are anywhere between 2-7 times higher than mine - and her difficulties were not even close to being in range for the skill level.

So does anyone have an explanation for this? Is it nerfed? Is it bugged? Should I have made my fryingpans out of 80% copper with 20% silver thrown in?????

One thing is immediately clear though - pans in backpacks nearly half the skill gain. (unless it really is just completely bugged)

And if it HAS been ninja nerfed - please - someone take down the Mamadarkness guide because in that event it's been made nonsensical - and very misleading. (that might apply to other guides too - but I relied on Mama's)

Edited by Heboric

Have you tried lower difficulty thing?

And is that with SB or without?

Edited by boilingfort

Are you on Epic? I see your location says Serenity. If you are I can see how your gain is not meshing with the guide.

The difficulty of the meal I cooked was 2 above my skill. According to other information in the wiki skill gain is best within 10 up or down, with between 5 up or down being optimal.

2 above is damned near perfect for skill gain afaik.

There is absolutely a difference with MamaD's data - but why I don't know.

Are you on Epic? I see your location says Serenity. If you are I can see how your gain is not meshing with the guide.

If a nerf must have been recent. I got massive skill gain on backpacked pans from Shadz's cookhouse.

You did have all the backpacks in your inventory prior to in the oven/forge right ? I hear that is a thing.

Edited by Elen

Yes - I cycled the whole thing through invo. Everything in the forges was loaded by me.

But even discounting the backpacks - the 100 test pans I then did just in the forge still didn't match MamaD's results.

I know this isn't Epic, and I was fully prepared for less than Solidad got on Serenity - but this isn't simply half or whatever - 500 pans for just under a point of skill gain at just over 60 skill translates to a VERY long road. And quite simply these numbers speak for themselves, and don't match each other.

Edited by Heboric

Did you check the QL of your products?

If you had a lot of 1ql you will not have gained HFC skill of those.

Certainly all the veg was 70+, and ALL the meals were above 1, lowest around 20 going up to the max. It's probable that a few filets could have been 1 (my priest has around 26 butchering skill) , but not many. I've never noticed that would make a difference before. I can do another test tomorrow and discard any 1QL filets to be really sure - but I already know that in the event of some loss for that reason it couldn't be enough to explain these discrepancies.

Edited by Heboric

I made my hfc some months ago to 70 and i allways got the best results with low difficult meals. I tried it with meals at my lvl but poorly failed. So my oppinion is they patched it several months ago and the wiki is wrong :-)

The way to gain cooking skill has always been within the bizzaro realm of Wurm. All other skills are gained per the action taken, yet with cooking you can load up massive amounts of containers with cooking items and gain multiples of skill gains times amount of loaded items in one action. I realize that this is a very favorable situation for those who choose to gain cooking skill for various reasons, but in terms of Wurm skill gain mechanics it seems clearly a bugged broken system of extreme skill gain in comparison. Changes (nerfs) made to this type of skill gain to return it to accord with the other skills seems to me long over due.

=Ayes=

Isn't it  usually skill plus or minus 10 difficulty for good gains on cooking? Aside from the oddity that low difficulty meals are still great for gains, it could be that the meal you are trying is too difficult.

You are at 60ish, the meal is 63, and +10 for forge gives 73 difficulty in total.

Try with an easier meal and see if the gains are still odd.

Edited by Delakar

/me laughs heartily

Silly people with their coins in pans and their other shenanigans XD

• Like 1

Actually until this issue is resolved and the cause found/explained

any self-respecting and honourable panfiller should inform their customers about this potential issue and suspend the activity

Edited by Thorakkanath

If you're the kingdom chef, that can screw with your skillgain too by lowering the overall difficulty. Or at least it use to, not sure if that's still the case.

I just did 256 pans and got 0.06 something is wrong.

edit: 60 skill range, with sleep bonus, nothing fancy pans inside cauldrons making stews.

Edited by Niki

These were my gains to day from a grind of 1295 pans of stew with SB burning when pans were lit 

[2014-08-05] [15:52:53] Hot food cooking increased by 0.000603 to 97.49086

[2014-08-05] [15:54:04] Hot food cooking increased by 0.000526 to 97.77668

Which seems pretty normal for my level of HFC, speaking with others of the same skill

• Like 1

Just gained .33 hfc at 80 from just 96 meals with sleep bonus.

The meals were just one meat fillet and one corn cooked in 3 cauldrons with 32 pans each in a forge.

"I did something different to these stats and got a different result"
 - OP

The +-10 is folklore and should be treated as such.
As far as I can tell, the cooking has always been this way.

• Like 2

Did 10k pans of stew not to long ago and did not see anything different but ill post after the next 10k.

I cooked 1001 meals the other day, corn and meat 37 difficulty + 10(forge) at just 24 HFC skill.

I know the skill was very low but considering the high difficulty i got 14 skill points, is still a good gains.

no one things about forge ql and pans ql... mybe is something with that....

no one things about pans ql...

This.

A quick test yesterday at 76 HFC without SB gave 0.0047 skill per tick. I got 17 ticks from 30 cooked meals (potato, cooked meat in a forge). 17QL pans had a rate of 7/10, 48QL pans and 58QL pans had a rate of 5/10.

I guess most of the pan loaders pans are actually <20QL. Using those with high difficulty recipes will only make the cooking to hard which results in a low success chance and a low skill gain rate.

With a couple 100s of pans it should be easy to actually test a few recipes for the best skill gain rate.

• Like 1