Sign in to follow this  
Tux

MMORPG missed Wurm

MMORPG.com just did an article on the best crafting engines in MMOs.

Wurm was not on the list...what the...?

Because it doesnt have one the best crafting engines... We actually have a pretty terrible one for what we could be capable of having.

Edited by Ruger
  • Like 4

Probably agree more with this list 

SWG
UO
Horizons
Vanguard
EVE

• Like 4

If the devs treat the game like it's in Beta the critics will as well.

• Like 68

QFT

I cant like more then once but you hit the nail square on the head so hard it drove the nail through the planks... Spot on.

/me applauds

Nearly all of MMORPG's articles anymore are pretty random junk. The writer doesn't even LIKE crafting in his MMOs, and even says crafting doesn't need to be an important mechanic in the game to make his list. He made up a random list based on stuff he heard because someone paid him to make up some random list. 

I agree with Kadore's list though Ryzom maybe should be on the list too. 

Edited by Brash_Endeavors
  • Like 1

Funny list, except for SWG but a lot of SWG's crafting was bugged badly and harvesters not sought out well

Nearly all of MMORPG's articles anymore are pretty random junk. The writer doesn't even LIKE crafting in his MMOs, and even says crafting doesn't need to be an important mechanic in the game to make his list. He made up a random list based on stuff he heard because someone paid him to make up some random list. 

I agree with Kadore's list though Ryzom maybe should be on the list too. 

I'm not one to defend MMORPG.COM normally, but this isn't fair.

The article is about MMOs with good crafting mechanics, he outright states that it's about the mechanics themselves.

And by that criteria, yeah wurm is not really notable, crafting is important in wurm but the actual mechanic is "put 2 things in a window and push button". Same applies to EVE, UO and a few other games people brought up.

The games on their list have much more involved crafting mechanics and that's what the article is about.

• Like 3

Interesting, good point.

Speaking for myself how I craft something almost never enters my mind although what I can craft does.

Speaking for myself how I craft something almost never enters my mind although what I can craft does.

I personally like crafting minigames when the system isn't grindy.

Doing the same mini game for 5000 times gets old really fast. 

• Like 1

Its coz advertisement is terrible.

For someone that wanna find a sandbox mmo wurm is incredibly hard to find. Sadly :(

• Like 4

You mean this one? http://www.mmorpg.com/showFeature.cfm/loadFeature/4947/Top-Crafting-Systems.html

Of those 7 i only really tried Runescape (and briefly at that), but i do recall having a blast with crafting in Runescape.

And i have to agree with bdew, although crafting is central in Wurm, the crafting system isn't that involved, it simply has larger ingredient chains and more objects to craft than most games. But the crafting in itself is pretty standard, and it feels even more using the new window, which is actually a good improvement, but kinda took away a bit of the immersion we used to have by interacting directly with the objects we were crafting (in the ones you had to continue, mostly).

Like i've said many times the wonder about Wurm's crafting and terraforming, isn't much the process (which is what the article reviews) but the end-result. I doubt many people enjoy crafting anything in Wurm, its always the same process regardless of what you're crafting, and its always repetitive and tedious. The improving is a bit better and more engaging, but still repetitive.

What really feels great, to me at least, is enjoying the fruits of my labor. Its looking at that perfectly flat terraformed area that used to be a hill-side. Enjoying that huge monolithic cliff that is now the border of my mountain deed. Its appreciating the cool and beautiful effects some lighting has on a deed, how a blue/green lamp inside the trunk of a willow makes the tree look magical. How awesome a palace or a castle house will look.

Those are the things that make wurm cool (that and the community involvement, we may have lots of undesirables, but not many things have been as fun as the dragon slaying i've semi-organized, and the impalongs i've participated).

• Like 1

I do love crafting in games.  Of all the games I have ever played, SWG had the best crafting system for any game.  Now this was in the beginning.  We did not play much after the game went to hell in a handbasket.

I like my crafting system with some customizability. For example take longswords, right now they are just a wooden handle + long sword blade, and the type of wood doesn't even matter. I'd love to see the handle becoming more complex, let it be build out of an actual guard, grip and pommel. Let those 3 parts have an effect on the end product and have multiple options for each part, the wiki on pommels shows a ton of examples of what existed. The wiki on longswords also discusses their evolution, that the focus later on went from slashing into thrusting in order to counter plate. So there is also room there for customizability, do you want the longsword to be better at thrusting, better at slashing, or want to focus on both evenly? Imagine there being several different blades to choose from, each with their advantages and disadvantages, or possibly even a bunch of sliders/choices you can make, which together with your skill determine the kind of blade you end up getting. Combining a more complex blade and handle system could result in dozens of variations in longswords instead of only being able to change the metal type as you can now.

I feel that the best crafting system in Wurm is the housing system. And one of the main strengths of that system is the customizability. The amounf of freedom you have in shaping your house is huge and there are several kinds of walls, floors and roofs, with more being added occasionally. I really wish the rest of the crafting system becomes as good in the future.

out of all the games listed the only one I have played is Fallen Earth which really doesnt have a crafting 'mini' game really. It just allows you to craft while not actually crafting.

So with that, do the other games in that list have an actually mini game?

what I am getting at is the author confusing what can be made with how it can be made? 

Terraforming, house building (despite its lack of true multi story functionality).... those rock on Wurm all in all.

Crafting........ crafting window to assemble, improve repair improve repair (cvcv) wait.  That's where I sometimes catch myself saying "this game is getting boring".  If I'm making bows and decide to switch to blacksmithing.... change tools on my toolbelt, and just like with bows.. cvcv switch tool cvcv switch tool cvcv curse rng cvcv switch tool.

If there were some variety in the actual item attributes.... say if tempering added to the swords "resistance (to damage)" value and sharpening to its damage value, imp with iron for accuracy (play with the balance), polishing for resistance too...  Sum of those values is total QL, so a 60ql accuracy sword =/= as a 60ql damage sword...... Then we could say "good crafting system".

Sharpening helmets, eh. 

• Like 1

Flawless victory!

• Like 1

Terraforming, house building (despite its lack of true multi story functionality).... those rock on Wurm all in all.

Crafting........ crafting window to assemble, improve repair improve repair (cvcv) wait.  That's where I sometimes catch myself saying "this game is getting boring".  If I'm making bows and decide to switch to blacksmithing.... change tools on my toolbelt, and just like with bows.. cvcv switch tool cvcv switch tool cvcv curse rng cvcv switch tool.

If there were some variety in the actual item attributes.... say if tempering added to the swords "resistance (to damage)" value and sharpening to its damage value, imp with iron for accuracy (play with the balance), polishing for resistance too...  Sum of those values is total QL, so a 60ql accuracy sword =/= as a 60ql damage sword...... Then we could say "good crafting system".

Sharpening helmets, eh. 

Like i've said many times the wonder about Wurm's crafting and terraforming, isn't much the process (which is what the article reviews) but the end-result. I doubt many people enjoy crafting anything in Wurm, its always the same process regardless of what you're crafting, and its always repetitive and tedious. The improving is a bit better and more engaging, but still repetitive.

What really feels great, to me at least, is enjoying the fruits of my labor. Its looking at that perfectly flat terraformed area that used to be a hill-side. Enjoying that huge monolithic cliff that is now the border of my mountain deed. Its appreciating the cool and beautiful effects some lighting has on a deed, how a blue/green lamp inside the trunk of a willow makes the tree look magical. How awesome a palace or a castle house will look.

KanePT pins it down here pretty well, as I see it. The draw for me is the Wurm *creation* system. This is taking the blank slate of a piece of land and transforming it into a Village type of environment, which having it under the protection of a deed enhances it. All the skills involved to do this are just part of the process that enables it to be accomplished. They are then little more than parts of the completion process to toil away at.

Creating weapons, tools and armors are more on the pure crafting part of the game and since my focus is always upon building and enhancing my deed and the surrounding environment, I will admit that in these terms crafting holds little interest. I am well enough content to buy these items from others that enable me to focus upon the *creation* part of the game.

This creation system within Wurm is what sets it apart from all others and elevates it to a different level. To transform the lands into something lasting that enhances them. I suppose those who do not have this builder's mentality will not quite get this; but the rest of the game play of Wurm I see as similar to the other online offerings, even being substandard to them in certain ways.

=Ayes=

• Like 1