Sign in to follow this  
Battlepaw

The Blurred Line

I'm opening this discussion, to everyone.    There has a been a lot of Chaos Vs Freedom posting being done by select players on both sides and what I'm putting here is a support log of our character histories.

What is this post?    Put up your history, if you want and show your support not for Chaos or Freedom but for the entire wurm community as a whole, so that we can move foward and realize wurm's dream togather as one community, even if on diffrent servers.    Many of us are Pure PvP players or pure PvE players, but many more of us, we are in that blurred line.   To us there is no PvE or PvP just server and where we chose to play, Epic, Chaos, Freedom.   All the same and to that end the same community.    If you are just going to troll or don't believe in this concept save your troll posts for the suggestion thread dramas, or elsewhere. 

My history:

I started years ago on Golden Valley, not the oldest wurm vet, but it was my horrible cirmstance to start as a new player on a crowded, small island of fellow newbies with all the trees fenced off, no deed protection and a mentality that was hostile towards PvP.   

One may as how did I become a PvPer?    I've allways loved PvP in other games, but really didn't see it as important or nessisary in wurm when I started.   I didn't know what it was or how it worked, just that it seemed important to some people.    Others seemed to think it was a waste of time.   I was working on trying to puzzle out my farm and how to modify terrain properly to make it go flat when a guy I barely knew offered to show me how wurm's mechanics for terraforming worked.   We got talking and I found out that he was actually an alt of someone by the name of Kriet from Wild, and he was looking for more players for his village there.   I had started the game with my IRL best friend, and a few others and we all decided to take the punge.   Me because I was bored silly, and mostly everyone else because they were curious about it too.  

Arriving in Wild, my first few weeks were uneventful, I got eaten by the local wildlife, figured out how towers worked.  It wasn't until I encountered Horton that I really decided to participate in the kingdom at all.    It was actually a few months after I had joined, and Kriet had vanished on me.    One of those kinds of times when ppl burn out on Wurm and take a break for a while, except I had been left alone at PRX to fend for myself.   I learned to do many of the things Kriet had done for me, such as hunt the local deer population and cook, but my FS was still around 10 or so, really low.   An encounter with a scorpion in chain gave me a severe wound which I made the mistake of putting a crappy healing cover on.     I tried in vain to fix it but my own healing skill was inadequate to put a new cover on, and the wound progressively got worse.   I jumped on my horse, and went running out to find some help.   Horton responded to my pleas and tried healing cover after healing cover on it, then finally when I was at 1% HP he finally managed to get a new healing cover to take. 

After that I realized that there was more to my existence then just being off on my own and doing my own thing.   Shortly thereafter I got involved in raids, and eventually I started fighting with MR up at the infamous Pander Investigation Zoom Zoom Army deed, or PIZZA as it was called at the time.  This was my first exposure to sieges, and I started to learn more about PvP. 

By this time no longer thought of PvP as useless, it was what I lived for, even if I avoided fighting enemies at all cost, I still loved the risk and feeling of being on the edge of things every time I left deeds.   

Fast forward to years later, many battles and sieges, fights and flights later and then Wild came to and end for me.   I returned to play on Chaos after PMKs were added and found the world much diffrent.   I still didn't think much of Freedom and hated their attitude towards us.    When the server borders were opened up I just ignored that fact and kept to myself here on Chaos.  

When I finally did go, some of you may remember that post I put up.  Heh it was a bit condescending. ;)  I was asking about tourist destinations on Freedom.    I had left Chaos before, when I went to Epic, but I had never been in an environment that was "safe" since my time on Golden Valley.    When I first crossed over to Freedom it was what I expected, in some ways.   In many more it was not.  

Yes, the whole place had a "Theme-Park" kinda feel to it, but this was from someone from Chaos, where every step you take you have to plan, outside deeds you need to know where you are exactly at all times, or at least where the nearest friendly deed is, escape routes, and ways to lose pursuit if it occurs.    You need to be in contact with your kingdom and be online to render assistance or call for help in voice com.  

Stepping onto freedom was like someone who had held his breath all his life finally being able to let it out.   I had thought I thrived on the risk, and I still do.  There is nothing better than that flavor of your possible demise hanging over you that makes you work harder, fight for what you want and be competitive in any game it exists in.     Freedom was exactly the opposite, I could relax and focus more on working with the community and enjoying a break from that environment rather than trying to be focused on one kingdom project after another, all for my own survival and the prosperity of my community.  

Since that first trip, I have returned many times.  To hunt, to build, and to attend impalongs, to take part in community events, and dragon slayings.   To work with villages and make new friends.    It made me realize just how many players are like me.  

We exist on that blurred line.   A foot in two worlds here on Wurm.    To us PvP isn't so much a profession but an expression of only one aspect of our play here in Wurm.   Far beyond the limitations of the Epic portals, we carve out lives with two or more servers and work with two very different communities that all strive to have fun in wurm in their own ways.   

We are not PvP or PvE, we are not just Freedom or Chaos, we are all part of the same game and the same community.     

This was my story.   What is yours?   

Edited by Battlepaw
  • Like 3

People will fight with swords or words, regardless of how much you try to unite us. If you like chaos, the opinions of freedomers are irrelevant to your enjoyment of it. Ergo, just go have your PvP fun without worrying about what we think, mmmkay?

• Like 1

People will fight with swords or words, regardless of how much you try to unite us. If you like chaos, the opinions of freedomers are irrelevant to your enjoyment of it. Ergo, just go have your PvP fun without worrying about what we think, mmmkay?

You don't need me to unite anything.   Our current progress, both with PMKs, and the community itself is progressing towards having a lot more players who have a foot in both worlds.  

is it  time to separate the servers ? pvp/freedom/epic... ...we all want what we want but lets just all agree that rolf and co. keep trying to make the game better for us all...

is it  time to separate the servers ? pvp/freedom/epic... ...we all want what we want but lets just all agree that rolf and co. keep trying to make the game better for us all...

It's not about what we want, but about how wurm is changing around us.   Put your heads in the sand or move foward and undestand that there are not two communties, or even three in reality, there are only people who play wurm and people who don't.   

The game changes due to devlopment will, but the community is up to us to create.    Remember that.   Next time people try to tell you that PvE and PvP communities are seprate, just show them Imapalongs where players come from all around to join in on community events, or during slayings, where players from all kingdoms attend a slaying and have fun.  At each of these events there are allways as many players from Chaos, as Freedom.    

As for the Epic players, its hard for me to gauge, as I'm only speaking from my own observations, and I don't know how many Epic players play on both freedom or chaos as well, but I can imagine its not a small number, or at least those that have had exposure to the mechanics of Epic anyways.   What I'm talking about in this topic maininly is the support to players that don't want to be purely PvP or PvE, but like wurm for all it's aspects.   That does count epic, but I'm specifically talking about the players encompassing Freedom and Chaos when I'm talking about my own experiences, since my time on Epic was very limited.

Edited by Battlepaw

[19:52:00] You entered through the portal to Wurm on day of Awakening, week 4 of the Bear's starfall, 1037. That's 205 days, 3 hours and 5 minutes ago.

My name is Zachariah and I think posts like this are very good in showing the difference of "carebears" and the brutal PvP servers

My story is a very confusing one in the fact that I have been and lived everywhere in my time in Wurm. 

When I went through the portal, with my noob account named Oliver, I had no idea what the difference between Epic and Freedom was. I didn't know anything other than what the tutorial taught me. So I stood between the two portals and looked at both of them contemplating my options. As I didn't know the difference at the time I went by the coolness of the epic portal compared to the Freedom portal. So I went to Serenity. When I got to Serenity I had someone in my local, after all of this time I have forgotten the name. But me and him, we ventured off into the dangerous world Serenity. 

After what seemed like a life time of swimming we finally came across a decent area on the coast somewhere. We set up camp and started to flatten out the area and build houses.

After the guy I was with went in active a man named Arlran found me and he explained everything about Wurm to me and set me up on my own in a little area away from the coast as apparently living on the coast in Epic is dangerous. I had a nice little area built up with some farm lands going and a decent house built. 

People were talking in local about a wondrous land named Freedom. I then learned that I was living in a PvP server and so I made the choice to make another account named Zahchariah. 

I went into Celebration and walked around Tapdance for a while until I came across a village named The Eternal City of Fo. That was my first ever stable home I had. The mayor, McWolfy, took me in and raised me as his own offspring. He helped me learn the ways of Wurm and showed me the wiki. 

After a while McWolfy disbanded the village and went off to help the calling people of wurm. His exact words were [17:40:44] <Mcwolfy> Someone somewhere needs a helping hand. [17:40:49] <Mcwolfy> Im sailing to go help them. 

He was a wonderful man and took in so many noobies. When the village disbanded I went to live with a man named Edricka. he took me in and let me live with him but my time there was not the best time I had in a while. so I wont talk about it. 

A couple months later I founded my first deed in central south Celebration. As my time there progressed I had been playing for about 4 months. I decided to make an account named Kalden and raise him in Chaos. 

When Kalden went through the portal into the lands of Chaos I didn't know anything about the kingdoms so I went wandering asking in kingdom if anyone had a village that I could join and of course no one responded because no one was freedom. 

So I went wandering and came across and MR village named Asgard. Dapperdan and Groukin took me in and helped me. I have now been living in Chaos for aver 6 months now. I am not an active PvPer but if I am needed I will be willing to ride over and help to support my kingdom. 

Despite what other people say MR is one of the best kingdoms in Chaos and I have loved my time here. I have grown so much and now I dont have to rely on everyone for supporting me and giving me tools and things. 

Now, despite what people say Chaos is not a hard land to live in. I live upon the heightened sensibility when ever I leave the deed. 

That is my story. What is yours?

Edited by Zachariah
  • Like 1

Started in 2007 on JK Home.  Came to Wild Feb 3, 2008.  Haven't been off the server on my main since.  I care very little if one is a "pvp guy", a "freedom dude", or a "wild/epic brawler" - as these terms often get thrown around by strongly opinionated people on various sides of the fence.

If you enjoy the game, where ever you are, you're golden by my standards.  What might work for me might be entirely wrong for you, and vice versa.  At the end of the day, I suppose if I have to justify my beliefs and existence in a video game, I figure I'm already losing in the bigger picture of things.

Have fun - it's what Wurm is here for.  Lines in the sand don't draw themselves.

• Like 6

Been around for quite awhile on afew different chars now. Played on and off during the last couple of beta maps but back then my PC was TERRIBLE and I could only play for 2-30mins at a time before crashing. Come G1 I played as Alkanda and mostly kept to myself but hung around near Lionshead on JK-H with my RL best friend; Dilzi.

Eventually G2 rolled around and I spent alot of time on JK-H until MR was released on Wild (now Chaos) so I went over to start a new adventure. Ended up moving to MR-H when that came out and lived there until it was closed down before moving to Indie, after that I lived on Chaos > Indie > Deli > Cele before finally settling back on Chaos where I currently run my village; Kratos with some really good friends. 

Pretty much here just to have a laugh and for the community. I've traveled around alot in RL internationally and I've been fortunate to meet up with many of the fantastic friends I've made in this game which is something I consider to be pretty damn cool. Of course this is like the ultra condensed version of my stories, I've known many people and lived/owned many villages in these last 9years or so. If there's one thing I've learnt is never to take things overly seriously and roll with the punches cos Rolf and Wurm is a fickle mistress.   :)

EDIT: I started playing wurm at 12-13...and I'm still around! Yikes!!

Edited by Emoo

Before I post my history, I'd just like to say that nobody has the moral high ground and it's rather arrogant to try take it when you throw around insults like "stupid", "self centered" or make accusations of "racism" based on which server you play on. Check yourself before you criticize others.

Having said that, I can't even remember when I started playing but it was on JKH. I founded a noob colony on the shores of Valkyrie Bay. Unfortunately, six months later a coalition restarted a project to seal the entire bay off to make a roadbridge. Although eventually they were willing to consider some alteration to the plan to make it navigable, it was only after a rather rough handling on their own forums (where I was told I should wish I was as good as them and to suck it up and move) that I chose to lose my silver and left to the farthest place I could get from them, the NW coast. 

Once there I founded a new small deed and began reshaping the terrain to make a lovely dock based town, sort of a mini Venice. Then one day Rolf had lunch and decided that Wild needed to be able to raid home servers. Did I mention the token was literally on the water? So that was disbanded and I sailed to Akhenaten, a lovely town that had been uglified by squeezing walls anywhere they could to make the deed defensible.

Fast forward a while of watching friends ragequit and listening to people complain in kchat as a tiny, tiny minority of Wild players had a field day pillaging, raiding, looting, stealing and even extorting against unwilling participants.

Then we got Independence! I could play this great crafting/building game without being forced to play the horrible horrible pvp game that it was intended to be. I moved with Akhenaten and helped rebuild a grander city than it was before and even build my own deed north of it. They awarded me with a position as elder after a while. During this time I played briefly on an alt on Wild (JK). I didn't give it serious effort, but I quickly found out from chat that the kingdom had a lot of really fine people that earned my respect regardless of which toon I wore, a number of truly horrible people that earned the opposite, and a lot of people that ate up the propaganda being spread by a few.

I saw "____ing carebear" and "stupid freedumber" on an hourly basis from a small vocal trashtalking group. Note these were the same people spreading nonsense about how Rolf loves MR more or that so-and-so in another kingdom was cheating etc etc. I saw far more trash being talked about Freedom on Wild than vice versa. That minority was loud enough, in the small population, that I left. At least on Inde the rudeness was diluted by the population. I have not been back since and I hope things have improved. The alt is still there I assume so I might have to take it for a spin.

I was a successful armor smith with many master titles. When I hit 70 armorsmth and didn't get a title I requested the oh-so-original 'Renowned Armorsmith" from Rolf and got it. I don't know if that meant I was the first, but I enjoyed certain personalities whine about the american spelling. I sold armor of all types to the people of Freedom and made a bundle. I think my most infamous contribution was I suggested the Epic Curve.

Chaos got reconnected (which I vocally opposed). On the good side some really nice people got to mix with old friends again and I was able to interact with some folks I liked using my real handle. On the bad side, a small minority that had used and abused every advantage and exploit dumped a metric ton of enchanted armor on the market and my sales plummeted. I then sold my original accounts and took a 2 year hiatus.

Now I am back playing on what used to be my old Freedom Market tending alt. I have no skills over 50 but I am rising fast. I am rebuilding my deed to take advantage of all the new artwork, and might go in to business again. I have an Epic alt that I have yet to get serious about skilling up.

I was, and still am, a prolific forum warrior. I have strong beliefs about what is and what is not good game design and about fairness to players. Since I don't pvp in Wurm, my personal bias is going to lean that way but I do try to look past it. I don't think intentionally provocative and unlikely to be implemented threads are a good way to bring about change or highlight flaws in the current system.

If you can't hear what I'm trying to say

If you can't read from the same page

Maybe I'm going deaf,

Maybe I'm going blind

Maybe I'm out of my mind

Edited by Othob Rithol
  • Like 4

I started on Release as bear food. I always said supporting the local wildlife was a good idea. I stayed on Release until the recent Xanadu. I am a villager in a deed on Release still and visit a bit but mostly stay on Xanadu these days because I hate sailing westward or northward. Since I live on the bottom of both servers, well... that about sums that up! Other than that, I make holes. Rock or dirt, same is same. I dig. Sometimes I stop digging long enough to farm but usually I dig up my farm too. 

I started on Golden Valley back in July of 2009, hung around there for 6 months before going to Independence, where I joined Silent Hill. Once there I started working on my stats and skills. Then in 2012 I had an offer to move to what was then Wild and BL. I was all set to join Bad Omen, then Rolf decided that the server should become re connected to the Freedom servers and Chaos was born. I went to Epic where I joined the then BL capital, Black Summit, and I became hooked on PvP and raiding.

Unfortunately RL got in the way so I could not afford to keep up my prem at this stage, so went back to Indy. Then Emoo messaged me and told me about what would become Kratos, so I sailed over and became a member . I already knew some of the MR guys from when I lived with Redhawk and Louis a few months at their deed The Rodeo. I was a willingparticipant with MR until Christmas 2014 when I decided to follow my heart ingame and became a Blacklighter where I still am.

Really, it does not matter for which faction you fight, or how you choose to play this game. We are all here to enjoy ourselves and have fun.

• Like 2

I was looking for a survival/sandbox game for a long time, I never saw this game before so I tried it, it was before 1.0, multi-story, customizable avtars, etc.   I joined a server, I was lost, I found a guy in an "academy" who housed me and tought me how to make a cart.   Then I called in a friend to play, but she rushed and joined Deliverance, instead of the server I was in, so I made a new character, "Rathgar" and entered Deliverance.

Once the age of survival and discovery passed, I started noticing some flaws in the game, and crashe probably, so I went looking for info and I found the forums, and I have been an avid forumer ever since.

I explored Chaos, and had some good and bad experiences.   I am really into the most basic and streight PvP form there is, fighting games, and PvP within wurm never really interested me, so despite living right next to the chaos border, I never really set to PvP (I would just like to cruise through chaos, back when there were 20 players online on a good day).

Eventually I got familiar with the game system and development politics, and honestly, that is the only real form of grief I get from the game.   Each day I try to be as neutral as possible, but each day I come across terms like "carebear", "freedumb", etc.  So I naturally developed a dislike for the PvP community, and the PvP concept within Wurm.

The fact that for a long itme development was mostly focused on PvP, not minding how changes affect PvE also made me, wrongfully, resent the consented players, without noticing that its not really the players choice, or fault.  But you guys make it SO hard to like you, or understand you.

Now I dont play Wurm as often as I used to, a friend has my passwords and she will sometimes log in with my characters when she needs managing writs, or some skills I have.   Im really hoping for some things to change in the way Wurm works, and the way Wurm is lead, to really be drawn back into the game as I used to.

• Like 1

What are you trying to accomplish with this?  I may be dense, but I've never been one for collectivism so I'm a bit confused.

• Like 1

Came over to Freedom from GV years ago, yadda, yadda, yadda. Never being one to disclose much about myself it's not likely to happen within this thread either. An air of mystery has always suited my mindset best. The more the opposition knows about oneself, the more that can be used against oneself and unfortunately within the Wurm community there are those who have never put aside their childlike ways of attempting to cause discomfort to others. pvp seems suited to this purpose nicely, especially within Wurm.

Unlike in other games such as WoW, pvp within Wurm becomes a very personal issue and experience. Upon this forum it has been shown many a time by the demeaning and taunting remarks of others, which contributes to a further division and resentment between the two sides PvE and pvp. Although I have no interest in the pvp aspects of Wurm, I will actively avoid insulting others for their preference of this play style; but, when I see the pvp aspects of the game intruding into the PvE portions of the game, I will always feel free to comment upon what I see as its detrimental effects, thus my continued stance that these two sides of the coin need to be separated as much as possible.

My comments upon these issues of pvp intrusion into the PvE portions of the game to the PvE's detriment have been stated within this forum on various issues over the years. I see no benefit nor need to repeating them within this thread. Pretty much sums it up for me.

=Ayes=

Neat story.  Thanks Battlepaw.

I'm opening this discussion, to everyone.    There has a been a lot of Chaos Vs Freedom posting being done by select players on both sides and what I'm putting here is a support log of our character histories...

We are not PvP or PvE, we are not just Freedom or Chaos, we are all part of the same game and the same community.     

I have tried both PVP and PVE and enjoyed it.  Current RL requires I drop Wurm quickly, and I work alot, so must PVE due to the instant AFK I do often.  I love the Wurm community as a whole, and know I will never reach the skills others have, but I enjoy my time none the less. 

What are you trying to accomplish with this?  I may be dense, but I've never been one for collectivism so I'm a bit confused

It looks to me like maybe an attempt to have a discussion that doesn't end with a big fight or ten pages of name calling. Share your story.

I've been living in freedom isles most of the time, but i have many times gone to chaos to try it. Time after time.

Only once i felt i was welcomed. Rest of the times i felt like people were completely ignoring me, even in the deed i joined in. Even the people who recruited me. I couldn't stand the hostility so i escaped back to freedom every time.

I didn't understand treatment of new folk in there, and i still cant. Even after all the confirmations that they are not spy. Even after 45 minute interrogation. I still don't understand.

Maybe sometime i will try again, maybe i will find a group of friendly people, maybe...

Edited by Ripsipiirakka

Been around since 2011.

Played on 5 different PvE servers now. (Some a lot more than others)

Just joined a PMK on Chaos, and I intend to check that out.

But I am a firm believer that PvP and PvE should be on separate servers.

• Like 1

Ib4L..woot!!

just kidding but this seems pointless, we all play the game and most of us who pay support it buy paying.

Heh.. I say pvp and pve servers atmosphere are different, and experiences may vary. Ruthless pvpers exists, but so do honorable ones (heard story of some PvPers go to JKH to loot, while others go to protect their friends there when Rolf open the server to PvP). Jerks pvers exists, but so do the kind ones (those who use 1x1 and mechanic protections to grief the others, while others create impalong and such to bring fun to everyone).

Mine:

http://www.wurmpedia.com/index.php/User:Rosedragon#History

Hasn't update for current status, I am currently leading a village with 95% citizens comes from freedom pve in Black Legion.

I'm opening this discussion, to everyone.    There has a been a lot of Chaos Vs Freedom posting being done by select players on both sides and what I'm putting here is a support log of our character histories.

What is this post?    Put up your history, if you want and show your support not for Chaos or Freedom but for the entire wurm community as a whole, so that we can move foward and realize wurm's dream togather as one community, even if on diffrent servers.    Many of us are Pure PvP players or pure PvE players, but many more of us, we are in that blurred line.   To us there is no PvE or PvP just server and where we chose to play, Epic, Chaos, Freedom.   All the same and to that end the same community.    If you are just going to troll or don't believe in this concept save your troll posts for the suggestion thread dramas, or elsewhere. 

• Like 5