Sign in to follow this  
Audrel

F2P MMOs with subscriptions... isn't that Wurm too?

I have played various games that are free to play that have premium accounts also. The difference between Wurm Online and Star Trek Online, Lord of the Rings Online, and Star Wars: The Old Republic is that all 3 give the player $5 worth of premium currency with their $15 per month subscription. Yes, we get sleep powders but they can't be mailed and have to be traded in person. This is well and good until you or your buyer have to sail 2 hours on Xanadu to trade it. That and it has no fixed value. 5 silver is 5 silver today and it is 5 silver tomorrow. We also get a yellow potion that turns you into something. I mean, it's cute the first time but it's not a loyalty reward.

There is another difference though... we don't have golden keys and lockboxes. We don't really need to. You gamble every time you log in that you will lose your valuable stuff to whatever is out there to kill you be it monsters, players, or bugs - and not the ones that live in your mine.

To me, this is just another way in which Wurm equates to be the most expensive free to play MMO I have ever subscribed to pay to play because not only is there no incentive program like the other F2P MMOs but you actually have to pay extra for each aspect of the game. The rules have been changed to make it so that you must have a deed. You must pay 10s for the deed form. You must pay upkeep on the deed every month. If you want guards, you must pay for those too. If you want an alt, you can't just log one out and another in from a 2nd character slot. You need a completely separate paid account.

But then, looking at all that above, I think that all of this can be flat out dismissed because Wurm Online is, in fact, not a Free to Play MMO as advertised is it? Not when protection for a free account is signing up for slave duty to a nearby deed or a tent that rots away (that you can't hide in from a mob like you can a fence) because there are no rules to protect anything not deeded, locked, strongwalled, walled in, and guarded 24/7.

PS: I have my flameproof suit on. Let the hate begin.

• Like 1

You forgot the BIGGEST difference.

.....All those games allow you to have multiple characters on one account  (well, not sure on star trek)

You forget, wurm still is in the alpha. It's the " Released " alpha

Free to play doesn't mean free to enjoy, and it shouldn't either.

• Like 1

You can earn literally everything in game, it's more play to win or pay to win ( if you spend real cash ).

Free to play doesn't mean free to enjoy, and it shouldn't either.

I honestly don't think anyone out there is stupid enough now adays, in this time, to see "ooh free to play MMO!" and expect it to not have massive restrictions.

It's not the restrictions I am talking about either. It's the incentive program. I didn't expect a derailment this quickly. Strawmen work well here.

EDIT: That should be red herrings but... whatever. 

Edited by Audrel

well the incentive then......is having your skills above 20.

Large cart access right above it.

sailboat right above it.

Horse right above it......

all skills able to be leveled over 20.

Not really sure what your thinking of for incentives - except silver, which to a lot of people is worthless anyway.

The "incentive" is to get the full game.

Those are not incentives. They are game mechanics. But I get it. Thou shalt not question the Wurm. :-) 

I don't really get how you think it is the most expensive MMO around... 

The sub is one of the cheaper I have seen. What you are paying for is not full access to the game when you compound other things, it is access to more features which most MMOs do. Things like additional powers, mounts, dungeons, etc. You don't have to pay for a deed to enjoy the game. I actually don't imagine that single person deeds were ever really intended. If you are so tight on silvers, then don't run a deed, or pay for the extra features. 

Join a bloody village...

Wurm Online is a sandbox. With that said anyone is free too manipulate the environment, including the would be no good griefers who get a kick out of destruction and others misfortunes. Paying extra for a deed to prevent unwanted modifications makes sense because it stops someone from grabbing the land and taking it from those who would use it. Sure you get people who deed huge areas and do nothing with it, but that is their choice because that is their money to waste and sooner or later it will disband or be sold to a player who would use it. As far as free to play, World of Warcraft is free to play up to level 20 just like wurm, but once you hit 20 there's nothing to do so in both games you are forced to subscribed. So many games now are marked as "free to play" and are really all just micro transactions. I've played so many of theses and right on day one if I wanted to get anywhere I've been forced to spend up to $30 or just to be able to have a mount or buy coins for a new dungeon unlock or any of the things that would make the game fun. In my opinion an far more expensive game to play would be Eve Online with all the cash you need just to get a decent ship to do anything, or Runescape that limits free player to a few skills and less then 1/4 of the map along with their new "buy coins to gamble" system.

• Like 1

I wouldn't want to join a bloody village.. something just says "hey, run.. now!" when I think about it.

• Like 2

Those are not incentives. They are game mechanics. But I get it. Thou shalt not question the Wurm. :-)

I wouldn't want to join a bloody village.. something just says "hey, run.. now!" when I think about it.

well the incentive then......is having your skills above 20.

Large cart access right above it.

sailboat right above it.

Horse right above it......

all skills able to be leveled over 20.

The "incentive" is to get the full game.

if that is not considered incentive, I have no idea what would be.

the game is free to try/ play. higher levels require subscription, access to better vehicles too. if access to certain playgrounds is the key OP is looking for, then there is the PvP platforms that only premiums can go to?

I just recently quit after 5 years, and sold for more than 1000 euro. I maybe spend for 100 euro the first year for premium.

That is paid to play?

I didn't even farm dragons or actively sell stuff in game.

Wurm isn't a Free-to-Play game, it's a Pay-to-Play game that offers an endless trial version.

It's important to remember the difference in order to know what you are offered, it has caused a lot of conflict in the past.

Edited by Aeris
  • Like 5

Yes, nothing defines "fun" like paying a subscription to be slave labor. :-) 

I have never been in a village where this is the case. Even so, you have many options for not paying for additional features. You choose it, it is not intrinsic to the cost of the game. 

Actually, game mechanics are being able to do things (such as ride animals(cows for non premium), build, craft, etc). Incentives are being able to do much more and better things.

I hope Wurm never becomes an mmo that has to bribe it's members with golden keys and gift bags.

Yes, thank Fo they don't have those. And I hope I never see Coming Soon on them.

if that is not considered incentive, I have no idea what would be.

the game is free to try/ play. higher levels require subscription, access to better vehicles too. if access to certain playgrounds is the key OP is looking for, then there is the PvP platforms that only premiums can go to?

Just for clarification, they call giving you a yellow potion that turns you into a bucket a Loyalty Program. Other MMOs that advertise (whether they are or not) free to play that have a subscription (required to do more than 20 levels or not) give you a "Loyalty Program" or perks if you will in the form of $5 worth of premium currency with your (usually) $14.95 per month subscription. 

EDIT: I guess I should go back into my cave and open my wallet. I missed the boat on Incentive Programs, Loyalty Programs, and whatnot. LOL

Edited by Audrel

EVE Online is the same price every month. You don't have to buy a starbase form with Plex and then pay Plex to keep it every month. Access to a starbase and safety are part of your premium. The ship analogy is the same as the sword analogy for here. Unless you want to fly a frigate class sword in Wurm for a few days, you buy one. You are given a noobie sword here and a noobie ship there. You are given free ships all the way to destroyers and multiple of those.

Allow me to add some info.

EVE subscription prices are not the same for everyone. Yet, no one says a thing.

Europe: â‚¬ 14.95 / month

UK: Â£ 9.99 / month

Outside Europe: $ 14.95 / month

So, please explain to me why the hell do I have to keep paying for VAT if I live in Brazil?

Edited by Lucas
  • Like 1

EVE Online is the same price every month. You don't have to buy a starbase form with Plex and then pay Plex to keep it every month. Access to a starbase and safety are part of your premium. The ship analogy is the same as the sword analogy for here. Unless you want to fly a frigate class sword in Wurm for a few days, you buy one. You are given a noobie sword here and a noobie ship there. You are given free ships all the way to destroyers and multiple of those.

Yes but with all the tedious boring missions or fearful mining with can flippers or suicide pilots in 1.0 space now, no new player wants to sit down and do that, I'd rather make 10k bricks in Wurm.

Yes but with all the tedious boring missions or fearful mining with can flippers or suicide pilots in 1.0 space now, no new player wants to sit down and do that, I'd rather make 10k bricks in Wurm.

You notice where I am. :-) I don't disagree with you at all. I am playing here, more expensive (in my opinion) or not. I think Wurm is the most expensive game I have ever paid to play but it also the most different. Rolf don't need to worry. He'll keep getting my various forms of various premium payments until he flips the system-wide PvP switch.

Allow me to add some info.

EVE subscription prices are not the same for everyone. Yet, no one says a thing.

Europe: â‚¬ 14.95 / month

UK: Â£ 9.99 / month

Outside Europe: $ 14.95 / month

So, please explain to me why the hell do I have to keep paying for VAT if I live in Brazil?

I pay more in the US for Wurm than a European does. I have to pay exchange rates and international transaction fees in percentages of the purchases. I don't think I pay VAT but tax by any other name is still a tax.

Edited by Audrel

You notice where I am. :-) I don't disagree with you at all. I am playing here, more expensive (in my opinion) or not. I think Wurm is the most expensive game I have ever paid to play but it also the most different. Rolf don't need to worry. He'll keep getting my various forms of various premium payments until he flips the system-wide PvP switch.

I pay more in the US for Wurm than a European does. I have to pay exchange rates and international transaction fees in percentages of the purchases. I don't think I pay VAT but tax by any other name is still a tax.

Edited by Lucas

Id pay for some lockpicks that never break...