Sign in to follow this  
Shadz

Tone down winter (please)

Below are images of winter, 1 with bloom on, and 1 with bloom off. Both on tundra tiles

7LYmAAi.png

xqqOMhm.png

In both pictures, you can see the 'snow' is incredibly bright, gives myself and multiple other people headaches.

It's even worse if you happen to have your lantern on as you're wandering on a slab path in winter :(

Edit:

Oh, and before someone says "adjust your gamma". My monitor is fine with everything else, so why would I do that just for 1 game?
We shouldn't have to adjust gamma as a workaround for an overly bright terrain.

Edited by Shadz
  • Like 3

lower the brightness on your screen / change wurm settings

and +1, I dont think everything should be 100% covered in snow, especially rock tiles.

• Like 1

lower the brightness on your screen / change wurm settings

and +1, I dont think everything should be 100% covered in snow, especially rock tiles.

Edit:

Oh, and before someone says "adjust your gamma". My monitor is fine with everything else, so why would I do that just for 1 game?

We shouldn't have to adjust gamma as a workaround for an overly bright terrain.

^^ 

As for changing wurm settings, what wurm settings affects the brightness of ONLY snow? O_o

• Like 1

Bloom isn't even playable anymore.

How about removing snow and just making grounds seem more wet (darker), and keeping the falling snow particle?

Main reason im against it, it honestly gives me a headach after a hour of gameplay if i'm outside or can see it through the windows.  I don't know if it's because it's bright, or what.

And ontop of that......it sucks being a forester, but that's a good realistic gameplay change.....kind of

It's no secret that a lot of people dislike snow, it's fine for a day or so but sometimes it lasts for weeks, I'd like to see the option to toggle it off.  

An option similar to phobia mode but for snow, personally it makes my eyes and head sore staring at it even for a short time, would be great to be able to turn it off.

For me it's not a case of disliking it, it's a case of it causes problems to play, I shouldn't need to stay indoors because I can't stand to look at the screen outside.

There's phobia mode for people with phobias of certain kinds (spiders are blobs and such) makes no sense that such a blinding texture should not be toggle-able as there is no advantage/disadvantage in game terms for it not to be.

Quoted from: http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/106673-make-snow-toggle-able-when-its-winter/

yeah snow is ungodly bright and that brightness even seems to get inside somehow

seems like a bit darker snow could fix this and it really is a game issue not a gamma issue as its just to bright

I have a few thoughts on this...

• Bloom is really stupid, I have yet to see a game where bloom makes it look better.
  • ...except in Oblivion when taking sun damage as a vampire, it really added to the light-is-killing-you effect.
  • I concur, the snow does look annoyingly bright, even without bloom.
  • Snow is that annoyingly bright, hence snow blindness being a real thing.
  • Snow goggles, or shaded eyewear to counter annoyingly bright snow tiles would be cool.

Whats to tone down? Its not like temperature affects gameplay... yet.

I would give players a season override option. This would let a player see whatever he or she wants. 

I have a few thoughts on this...

• Snow is that annoyingly bright, hence snow blindness being a real thing.

So's the glaring midday sun, irl, but it's tolerable in Wurm.  A few shades darker snow would definitely not hurt the gaming experience, I for one play less during Wurm winter because ffs BRIGHT.

yeah once again just because real life has snow blindness does not mean in middle of summer in RL I don't want to explain why a bad glared bloom render made me go blind

also I like bloom render makes things feel nicer - everything feels kinda lifeless with out it and altering my monitor back and forth from game to game stinks

+1. tone down snow, no one will miss the current blinding model.

I hate the dark in mines and at night in Wurm so I have my gamma adjusted to counter it so when it snows it's like instant snow blind when I log in to find it's winter again. 

Having snow on road tiles makes telling where the road is really difficult especially at night. I'm also not thrilled that my buildings with arched walls now all have snow covered floors. Perhaps removing or at least lessening the amount of snow cover on pavement would help?

yeah once again just because real life has snow blindness does not mean in middle of summer in RL I don't want to explain why a bad glared bloom render made me go blind

For someone who hates the game being compared to reality, why are you bringing up the middle of summer in real life? Not only is real time completely irrelevant since Wurm years only last 42 days, but it is winter in the real life southern hemisphere, so what makes your personal experience so special?

Wurm does not have to conform to reality, but neither does it have go out of its way to avoid it. Walking outside from a dark area when there's snow on the ground in real life hurts your eyes, walking outside from a dark area when there's snow on the ground in Wurm hurts your eyes. Stop whining about how Wurm is too realistic and learn to deal with it. The devs shouldn't have to take extra time to reduce the quality of the game because a few players are babies.

I hate the dark in mines and at night in Wurm so I have my gamma adjusted to counter it

There's already a fix for that in game; it's called a lantern, use it.

View hidden Post

For someone who hates the game being compared to reality, why are you bringing up the middle of summer in real life? Not only is real time completely irrelevant since Wurm years only last 42 days, but it is winter in the real life southern hemisphere, so what makes your personal experience so special?

Wurm does not have to conform to reality, but neither does it have go out of its way to avoid it. Walking outside from a dark area when there's snow on the ground in real life hurts your eyes, walking outside from a dark area when there's snow on the ground in Wurm hurts your eyes. Stop whining about how Wurm is too realistic and learn to deal with it. The devs shouldn't have to take extra time to reduce the quality of the game because a few players are babies.

There's already a fix for rudeness; it's called manners. Use it. 

• Like 2

Really? I'm pretty sure that when the game can genuinely impact your life in a way such as causing headaches just by being around a texture, something needs to be done. Call me a baby if you want, much rather be a baby than be as ignorant as someone like you who effectively says "shut up and deal with it" when someone suggests something to IMPROVE the gameplay for MANY-PAYING-CUSTOMERS, the snow texture is too bright, you cannot call it a 'hardware issue' or anything of the sort, I highly doubt everyone who agrees with this thread has the same hardware, or the exact same vision, so can't blame eyesight either, Also doubt we have the same tolerance levels for brightness.

As for 'bloom is really stupid' this is why i linked 2 pictures, 1 with and 1 without bloom, I personally do not use bloom, but many others do. The purpose of the 2 pictures was to show the brightness of the texture.

• Like 1

I love winter, I think it looks great as it is.

Bloom is really stupid, I have yet to see a game where bloom makes it look better.

Bloom is great as long as it isn't blur for whole screen. Wurm makes everything too bright and has too low bloom threshold.

I've yet to see any other game that looks bad with bloom enabled.

I was actually make a joke about snow blindness in summer - the joke was how awkward it would be explaining to a doctor how I went snow blind in middle of summer - of course you do not seem to understand humor and get agitated easily so I can see how this may confuse you

also real or not the render stinks - its just bad graphics if people have to adjust settings even if they had a fix for glare on and off during winter so we don't have to log in see its winter log out turn off bloom - which makes the game feel abnormally crisp and cold environment without that slight fuzz - the fact is it needs a fix - the snow needs re-textured it needs more terrain types based off of what its sitting on to make the game easier for the players

If people don't play the game during a certain season in said game, you have a problem.

If people don't play the game during a certain season in said game, you have a problem.

Think he was saying.

If I have bloom on, I then log in and see it's winter, I then have to log out to turn off bloom so I don't go "snow blind" :P

Think he was saying.

If I have bloom on, I then log in and see it's winter, I then have to log out to turn off bloom so I don't go "snow blind" :P

I mean in general for people saying there's nothing wrong with snow.