Sign in to follow this  
Cohen

Animal breeding/feeding issues

I've noticed that animals no longer seem to be grazing correctly or needing to feed anymore. The pair of pigs I own didn't die recently despite not having any food for a over week. Nor did they even lose their 'fat' title from the name. Which anyone who's ever kept pigs will know is extremely unusual.

It seems to be causing issues with breeding also. Here are the even logs for one of my breeding pairs :

[2014-07-16] [21:40:45] The Aged fat Huntingbenita doesn't seem to be in the mood right now.

[2014-07-17] [21:46:33] The Aged fat Huntingbenita doesn't seem to be in the mood right now.

[2014-07-18] [20:53:23] The Aged fat Huntingbenita doesn't seem to be in the mood right now.

[2014-07-19] [07:43:29] The Aged fat Huntingbenita doesn't seem to be in the mood right now.

Horses normally only take around 24 hours to become 'in the mood' again after giving birth, but this horse hasn't been in the mood for over 3 days now.

Apologies if this issue has been raised elsewhere, a forum search didn't bring up any similar results.

Hopefully this will get fixed soon!

Servers reporting breeding problems :

Xanadu    (AnarchistRise, huntgrem)

Pristine    (myself)

Indy          (Brash_Enveavours)

The following is Get Info data for a mare of mine 'Huntingbenita'

[2014-07-20] [09:00:50] Hunger value 3301, fat level 125, nutrition level 89.999985, thirst level 0, dominated by none, loyalty level 0.0.

[2014-07-21] [06:35:51] Hunger value 1301, fat level 125, nutrition level 89.999985, thirst level 0, dominated by none, loyalty level 0.0.

======== Server Reset ===========

[2014-07-21] [22:05:17] The Aged fat Huntingbenita and the Mature fat Cactusgold get intimate.

[2014-07-22] [20:47:11] Hunger value 4001, fat level 125, nutrition level 89.999985, thirst level 0, dominated by none, loyalty level 0.0.

[2014-07-23] [18:06:45] Hunger value 3501, fat level 125, nutrition level 89.999985, thirst level 0, dominated by none, loyalty level 0.0.

[2014-07-25] [22:00:26] Hunger value 8501, fat level 125, nutrition level 89.999985, thirst level 0, dominated by none, loyalty level 0.0.

Edited by Cohen

one of my bison refuses to breed as well :-/ quite annoying

They almost need to graze constantly now, the horses (and bisons) if the female/male is standing on a dirt tile (because it ate the crops/grass not long ago) it can give the message that its "not in the mood".

Sowing crops on that tile and trying again later usually makes them in the mood.

This "solution" worked for me on both Inde and Xan, and I usually try to leave piles of corn on each tile (or enchanted grass) to make sure they always find food when they get hungry, and thus, always remaining in the mood.

Well in my pens i have 2x2s for 2 animals each. i make sure the tiles are atleast 3/4 grass... still get the issue >_<

I have a feeling this could have to do with the non aggro animal cap.  All the animals on this server in captivity may not be any room for more. So if there is no room for a new baby to be born, it may stop the breeding.

Just my thoughts.

I have a feeling this could have to do with the non aggro animal cap.  All the animals on this server in captivity may not be any room for more. So if there is no room for a new baby to be born, it may stop the breeding.

Just my thoughts.

This was my belief as well.

Just my thoughts.

Then it's DEFINITELY better to let us bring our 5-speeds from the old servers.  Long story short: I'd have  less horses, and wouldn't be on the way to mass producing foals to set up a new bloodline.

Ok, just to clarify on my original post.

All my breeding pairs are kept in 2x1 pens with enchanted grass. I've never had any breeding problems in over 2 years of breeding animals.

The foal who was born to the mare in my OP is now 4+ days old & still [08:50:36] She has a normal build.

This is definitely not normal as the foal is clearly not eating anything. For a foal to not have put on a single layer of fat in 4 days is not right at all.

Also [2014-07-20] [08:48:31] The Aged fat Huntingbenita doesn't seem to be in the mood right now. still...

The issue of the foal not eating cannot, surely, be caused by non-agro creature cap. So the only conclusion I can draw here is that the feeding mechanism for animals is broken. Therefore affecting animals' willingness to breed.

I'll be gathering some 'Get Info' data on that mare in question over the next couple of days, particularly the hunger value.

[2014-07-20] [09:00:50] Hunger value 3301, fat level 125, nutrition level 89.999985, thirst level 0, dominated by none, loyalty level 0.0.

[2014-07-21] [06:35:51] Hunger value 1301, fat level 125, nutrition level 89.999985, thirst level 0, dominated by none, loyalty level 0.0.

[2014-07-21] [22:05:17] The Aged fat Huntingbenita and the Mature fat Cactusgold get intimate.  Finally managed to get her to breed!!

[2014-07-22] [20:47:11] Hunger value 4001, fat level 125, nutrition level 89.999985, thirst level 0, dominated by none, loyalty level 0.0.

[2014-07-23] [18:06:45] Hunger value 3501, fat level 125, nutrition level 89.999985, thirst level 0, dominated by none, loyalty level 0.0.

Edited by Cohen

The Breeding on epic seems to work normaly. I am breeding just now. So it doesnt seem to be a problem in the code. Think the reason is the animal cap.

my horses and cows haven't bred for a week here on Xanadu. i am getting anxious as all my horses are now quite old.

My mares on Indy won't breed for days, a server reset fixes it.  They also *might* snap out on their own after an extended time (a week?) but hard to test this since a server reset usually happens meantime. This was reported mostly on Xanadu at first but seems to affect Indy now too (list your server please when giving information.) On Xan I think it has been ongoing for a month or two, and I first assumed it was due to the creature number caps. Indy has the next "smallest" cap bases on pop & size, I think? While the smaller servers have more generous creature caps.  So if it is ONLY Xan (and now Indy) then I would suspect the cap, and this is what I was initially blaming.

I don't think it is a feeding issue because the males will re-breed just fine and they should not be willing to breed if their hunger was "stuck". In addition, mares who have never bred during that server uptime period, will breed fine fior me. It's the mares who have given birth, not resetting properly after a birth, that is the issue for me at least. If they are not in the mood I always offer to hand feed them oats etc. If hunger is the issue this always fixes it (I have had horses halt halfway through the breeding because one suddenly has a change in hunger status, most recently this happened yesterday.)

Since "new" mares (younsters who grew up, and horses that were not breed at all recently, and mares getting pregnant for the very first time) all breed fine for me, and all males breed ok after a brief period (an hour or so), this seems to rule out for me both the animal cap issue and the hunger issue as the cause. I initialy thought it awas a cap issue but then "virgin" or long-abandoned mares would refuse to breed also.  That seems to leave only the resetting after a birth timer, as the culprit. 

So Question for others here --  are the animals refusing to breed in this thread, ALL females that have given birth in the past week or so? Or are there exceptions to this?  (Adolescent females won;t breed until about 7-10 days into the adolescent age stage, I forget now the exact number of days, so don;t count ados unless you know exactly that they should be breedable).  

huntgrem, are all of yours still refusing to breed after yesterday's server restart? Test them again if you haven't recently.  There had been a pretty long delay since the previous restart so maybe you gave up trying.

It's possible that Rolf made some other changes to the breeding code to lengthen the timer after a pregnancy from an ingame week (about 1 day) to a reallife week. Maybe on purpose, maybe someone used the wrong timing code, maybe something else is interfering and for some reason it gets cleared by a server reset.

PS -- pigs seem to eat less for me since my return after a year gone. Even pregnant pigs seem to eat less, and they used to eat tons.  It's possible pig appetite was tweaked and that baby animals didn;t need to eat until older (none of my foals ever get "fat" until  they are on the verge of leveling up to adult, that's my timer for keeping new foals and old foals separate. "Fat" ones are usually just a few more days from adult status), Or its possible all animal eating habits + starvation is changed. But I think that might be unrelated to the breeding issue. 

Edited by Brash_Endeavors

Thanks for the input Brash :)

My horses are all on Pristine. I'll edit the OP to include some more info.

It would be useful if we could get a GM or Dev to comment in here just to let us know if things are working as intended or not at the moment!

I'm on Xanadu and I have 4 sets of breeding pairs, plus 4 female horses that are hitched to carts. After the females in the breeding pairs gave birth, I noticed they don't want to breed again, even if it's several days after they gave birth and they were uninterested in food. So after reading this thread, I went and switched out all the females that refused to breed for the ones that had been hitched to the carts. And I had no issues breeding those females.

So like Brash said, I don't think it's a cap or hunger issue because why would I be able to breed my cart females? Seeing as how a server reset fixes it, it's almost like the birth timer gets stuck until the next reset.

Sometimes my horse breeds very fast, sometimes it takes much, much longer.

Creatures are definitely going through some issues here. Probably due to animal cap?

I noticed something earlier... mare refused to breed, all tiles had grass, her previous foal was a few days old......... 

long story short, i moved her (from med to wild grass), she grazed inmediately as if she'd been kept that time on packed dirt, then was good to breed.

I think it's their grazing mechanism that's a bit out of whack.

• Like 1

This is some time later and i still haven't been able to breed. I took one mare over to one of my neighbors and they were able to breed, odd since i have a higher AH. will someone please help!

I still feed and groom before each attempt to breed. as well as the suggested after a restart, still nothing. 

I only have one example to add, though instead of this one showing more than 24 hours, this one was ready is less than 24 hours.

yesterday:

[20:05:10] Young Warjolly has arrived.

Today:

[18:42:31] Mother is Aged fat Yoanasweet. Father is Mature fat Flearolf. 

[18:45:42] The Aged fat Yoanasweet doesn't seem to be in the mood right now.

[18:45:50] A aged fat yoanasweet grazes.

[18:45:59] The Aged fat Yoanasweet does not seem interested in food right now.

[18:46:02] The Aged fat Yoanasweet and the Aged fat Quailrain get intimate.

[18:46:37] The Aged fat Yoanasweet will probably give birth in a while!

Adding for the record:

1)  Killed the foal as it was not a 5 speed.

2)  Note that the mare grazed right before I attempted to feed her by hand.

3)  Immediately after grazing, she was ready to breed again.

No idea if any of that means anything, but noting here for the record.

I've been feeling that my horses are not progressing in their pregnancies for months, and now I just started using the program Granger so I know so for sure, because I have a record to look at. A horse will pass the time it was due to give birth, and then I examine it and two days are added back on. I look at the time it's due to deliver before I examine it, and then after I examine 17 hours are added to the delivery time, or even more. It's a drag to have this happening.

Oops forgot to say, this is on Deli. I also have the "not in the mood" carry on for days, despite hand feeding, and magic grass available in the pens.

I know this is a known issue but I cannot find what must be an existing thread. Myself and others in my alliance (on Xanadu)  have not been able to breed horses since last server reboot. Day 5 now. Can someone please work the awesomesauce magic that fixes this? <3 

I thought the new wogic mechanic was simply wait for server reboots to breed again?  It has been that way for several months.  I am guessing they are keeping it that way to help reduce breeding.

I just figured someone forgot to flip the switch, it's been almost daily since they started that. 

if you don't already, follow @xanaduwurm on twitter to see when the server reboots happen. Great way to keep my sanity when breeding.

• Like 1

@Brash, I've had the same troubles rebreeding mares for both the normal and the hell horses now for some time. After a server reset is when they will be ready again, never before. As you said, the long dormant or the virgin mares will breed just fine, males are always to the ready as advertised.

Also, I've noticed the same thing with my foals not fattening up as quickly. I've offered food on a regular basis but always get the msg that they aren't interested in food now (all horses kept on corn tiles at the moment). The only exception to this is when they've been standing on a grazed out tile for a while (never tracked duration for this).

ooh, yeah.... server: Inde