Sign in to follow this  
Espiri

My experience attempting Wurm

Hi, I'm a potential new user!

I found a link on pinguspy and got all excited. A happy sandbox MMO, with crafting (maybe) and lots to explore (hopefully) and *titter*... so excited.

Seeing the link concerning java, I resigned myself to that most loathed of tasks... updating Java. On Slackware. As a Chrome user.... Do you need details?

After about 3/4 of an hour of downloading, slackbuilding, installling, uninstalling, reinstalling, verifing profile.d scripts, uh, wait, that's right... you didn't want details.

7u60... not 8u5 - no no~! Thats the *newest* JRE, (hahahahhahhahaha) you don't use the newest stuff! OMG this is JAVA it's the "right" one, not the newest one. There is no "backward" in "Oracle".

After about 45 mins, I have jre 7u60 proudly beaming from my dusty copy of Firefox.

Press Play.

Error. Run failed.

Check details (Java pathhell stack trace unreadable, wtf am i even trying to figure here?)

Check forums (notice a lot of "common" linux issues).

Find the javaws run line. Try it from bash.

Error. Run Failed.

Here's what I've concluded:

I would really like like to see your product. Your on a free to pay model and you (pointing at AB Code Club), you want me to see your product. The video looked great. You want to suck me into hours of poking around and making friends and becoming part of your community. I saw definate signs of browncoats in the area. I probably would have fit right in.

JAVA IS YOUR ENEMY

Yes, it seemed like a great idea at the time... platform independance (except Oracle has basically flipped off most everyone including their developers and users, and oh, there is no such thing), great support (uh, ok. If you say so), and it SOUNDS so cool..."java", "Jah-VA", "jAH-Va"... yes, yes, very cool.

You know what sounds really cool? Javascript + HTML5. That's pretty freaking cool.

You know what might have sounded even better: NATIVE CLIENT! And if your Really Smart you will just develop linux anyway cause that's where Valve is headed.

</rant>

Anyway.

I *WAS* a potential new user. Kthxbye!

• Like 1

You could have just downloaded java into a folder, and then told your system that jnlp files use the javaws executable in that folder. and done.

I run it with OpenJDK instead of Oracle Java, might try that if it's easier to install on Slackware (I have no idea).

I think you have missed the point.

The technical flaw was with the experience... I can pound a dozen fixes for things not meant to be broke. GAwd knows I've limped through my share of crippled Java.

But the big Shiney, Candy-Like, PLAY button doesn't work?

Really?

And to your comment (@eyerobot): glib flippency that seems to make sense to you does not help others... Try reading first.

I obviously know what I'm doing. I use Slackware ffs. I live where angels fear to tread.

There is a disturbing lack of detail in my post.

What could he be on about? Does he want something fixed?

Yes: the user experiance.

Edited by Espiri

You claim to be a Slackware user but you're surprised that something isn't installing smoothly and you're unwilling to try the suggestions on a forum. Hmm ;)

• Like 1

You claim to be a Slackware user but you're surprised that something isn't installing smoothly and you're unwilling to try the suggestions on a forum. Hmm ;)

The suggestions aren't addressing the point.

In fact, I give up.

No one here even seems to be readin the post or understanding or whatever. I'm just feeding trolls now.

Edited by Espiri

The suggestions aren't addressing the point.

In fact, I give up.

No one here even seems to be readin the post or understanding or whatever. I'm just feeding trolls now.

What was the point? Can you post a stack trace? Maybe a developer can help then.

If you give up because you could not install, you likely would not have lasted long in the game either. Consider it a trial, only the patient can play. 

But Java is terribad, no one denies it. Your lack of tenacity should be what to look into really though. 

• Like 1

Well, your loss. Now you miss out on a game that a lot of people always refer to as their favourite games ever played, a game they always come back too.

A lot people don't get to experience the joys of wurm, which never includes "a quick fix". You have chosen to fail your trail of wurm, the first part of many gauntlets wurm has.

Take a breath...try again...then take a breath....um and try again?

So you come in, you post for assistance and wait less than an hour before you give up. Maybe you can post here, and give it a bit more time than that, you would get the assistance you need. Nothing installs nicely for everyone, some need more help in getting things set up, like in your case. Instead you didn't even try to work on any solutions that were offered thus far, and gave up before anything else could be provided. Patience if virtue, and is especially prevalent in this game.

• Like 1

He's freaking out over the fact he has to use Java at all and would really like Rolf to junk his entire code base and re-write it in a form that would make it easier for him to install and run. My main suggestion to him is to have a nice cup of tea and calm down a bit.

Been using Debian myself since it came out and dealing with Java and the browser was actually really easy in comparison

download the jre tar.gz  and extract into /usr so you have /usr/jreX.Y.Z

use a soft link on the latest version as java

IIRC rightly I had to cd into /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins and type 

ln -s /usr/java/lib/amd64/libnpjp2.so

which made it accessible from the browser (after restarting the browser)

As its Debian which has all its nice dependancies I still install icedtea and openJDK but used the alternatives system to ensure my locations were used.

Finally as its Linux we are talking here I scripted the startup of Wurm because Linux.

#!/bin/bash                                                                     

#
# wurm launch will download the latest jlnp file and then run it.

#
# define some basics
CMD=`basename $0 .sh`
BASE=/data/wurm
MSG="enter 'live', 'unstable' or 'test'"
SRC="http://www.wurmonline.com/client"
LIVE=wurmclient.jnlp
UNSTABLE=wurmclient_unstable.jnlp
TEST=wurmclient_test.jnlp
JWS=/usr/bin/javaws

# ------------------------------------------------------------------------
# die - message and exit
function die
{
echo "${CMD} : $*"
exit 0
}

# enough commands?
[[ $# -lt 1 ]] && die ${MSG}

# valid?
[[ $1 != "live" ]] && \
[[ $1 != "unstable" ]] && \
[[ $1 != "test" ]] && \
die ${MSG}

# ok, now get the jlnp
[[ $1 == "live" ]]     && wget -q -O ${BASE}/${LIVE} ${SRC}/${LIVE}
[[ $1 == "unstable" ]] && wget -q -O ${BASE}/${UNSTABLE} ${SRC}/${UNSTABLE}
[[ $1 == "test" ]]     && wget -q -O ${BASE}/${TEST} ${SRC}/${TEST}

# and execute
[[ $1 == "live" ]]     && ${JWS} ${BASE}/${LIVE}
[[ $1 == "unstable" ]] && ${JWS} ${BASE}/${UNSTABLE}
[[ $1 == "test" ]]     && ${JWS} ${BASE}/${TEST}

exit 0

So I don't even bother with a browser, its directly in my games menu and it still ensures it has the latest jnlp file.

Hope this is of use.

This is really stupid...

Seeing the link concerning java, I resigned myself to that most loathed of tasks... updating Java. On Slackware. As a Chrome user.... Do you need details?

After about 3/4 of an hour of downloading, slackbuilding, installling, uninstalling, reinstalling, verifing profile.d scripts, uh, wait, that's right... you didn't want details.

7u60... not 8u5 - no no~! Thats the *newest* JRE, (hahahahhahhahaha) you don't use the newest stuff! OMG this is JAVA it's the "right" one, not the newest one. There is no "backward" in "Oracle".

After about 45 mins, I have jre 7u60 proudly beaming from my dusty copy of Firefox.

Press Play.

Error. Run failed.

Check details (Java pathhell stack trace unreadable, wtf am i even trying to figure here?)

Check forums (notice a lot of "common" linux issues).

Find the javaws run line. Try it from bash.

Error. Run Failed.

Here's what I've concluded:

I would really like like to see your product. Your on a free to pay model and you (pointing at AB Code Club), you want me to see your product. The video looked great. You want to suck me into hours of poking around and making friends and becoming part of your community. I saw definate signs of browncoats in the area. I probably would have fit right in.

JAVA IS YOUR ENEMY

I could go on a rant about how much java sucks also but nothing in your post shows anything directly related to a problem with java.

#1 You don't have to install the java plugin for your web browser to run wurm. Just download the the wurmclient.jnlp and execute it with javaws.

#2 Your first problem was installing the correct java version(Yes it doesn't use the "newest" version of java since java 8 was just released as a stable version only at the beginning of this year). I don't know what the term "slackbuilding" means but I assume it doesn't mean compiling because your using Oracle java which means just installing binary files and creating symlinks. I haven't used slackware but I am sure it has a package manager that should do all that for you if not you can manually do it and it should takes less than 5 minutes on a fast connection.

#3 You said you installed the right version of java and then wurm crashed after you clicked play. That could mean anything since you provided zero information other than your version of java. It may have nothing to do with Java or Wurm and that is usually the case. Try executing the client in a terminal emulator and diagnose the problem yourself or post the errors here. Also if you search the forums there are more common issues for windows users and most of them are just because they installed the wrong version of java for their architecture or they just do not have the correct video drivers installed.

Wurm works really well on linux even using the open source nouveau driver for nvidia cards which normally doesn't work for most games. I have even gotten wurm running from just installing tarballs using the LFS and BLFS guide book but it turns out you have to retire if you want to have enough time to maintain it xD.

• Like 1

Dislike of a game because of the technology that it is built on is definitely a right..... However, I personally do not find that the fact that the game is built using java has had any negative impact on my game experience.

Also, how many commercial games do you have installed and running smoothly on that Slackware Machine anyway?

• Like 1

Well, Wurm is built for Java - and I can't see how that could be changed. Can't even see why that should be changed.

Thus the user needs a working Java environment, no big deal on Windows (can't comment on Mac), but definitely a big deal on Linux. Sadly nothing can be done about that by the Wurm team: gazillions of different Linux distros, millions of different ways to install Java, different Java virtual machines, license issues galore, a ton of window managers. Nothing of that is the responsibility of Wurm developers.

Instead of complaining here the OP rather should complain to the Linux community ...

Everything they said!  Which amounts to leave your system alone, And just put java in a folder, And use it that way.  there is no reason to go nuts compiling when java is already compiled for you.  But if you want to prove to the world that your a java guru, Go right ahead. 

Honestly, the way it looks, you dont seem like a potential user… you give up too easy.

Edited by Lucas