Sign in to follow this  
Brash_Endeavors

Independence Returning Veteran Rehab Help Thread

We have a great permanent Newbie Village at Hills of Aenasan (just east of Freedom Market) now thanks to Rosedragon and Jenks =D who did not let the dream die.  Great place to drop in unannounced and ask for help, a free cottage, and a safe place to get started!  oops it is gone now but North Indy Academy is now open -- read about it here.

We have a rebuilt  Public Mine just north of Freedom Market thanks to Carnaxus and many other members of the community who repaired dangerous dropshafts, located new iron veins and installed forges.  We have replanted trees around the starter spawns making it easy for players to make a starter cart and tools and even now a settlement stake and find their own spot.

What we need now is a way to help returning "older" players who quit Wurm for whatever reason, and are on occasion logging back all across independence to find their friends gone, their villages gone, their stuff all gone, they barely remember how to play. What happens for those returning vets in the next few hours will probably determine if they come back to Wurm or quit it forever. This thread is for them, posting resources that the community has to offer plus a chance for them to post requests for help and information

We have many fine established villages that take in returning players, but sometimes these players only need a SMALL amount of help with no commitments. 

LANGUAGE HELP

Sometimes we get large groups of players from non English countries. They are often shy to ask for help in public chat. Here they can inquire who else speaks their mother tongue, or players knowing Polish Korean Russian etc can post their names and invite these players to PM them for language help.

ROWBOATS

Some players returning to Indy will want to STAY here (yay!) but a number want to rejoin friends on Xanadu, or at least find more active villages there.  Many of us have extra rowboats around the deed, or enjoy making rowboats as a way of skilling up shipbuilding. Prices fluctuate but often these are worth only 50c to 1 silver (more now due to new server demand) and it would be nice to 1) offer these for sale at a fair price (with lock and anchor) to those who can afford it 2) Offer FREE ones to players not yet able or willing to commit silver coins to the game. Those who can afford to pay, should.  But some of us might be willing to kick in fifty cents lost profit to sponsor subsidize a returning player? The boats need to be set to the returning player as owner, so they can cross into Xanadu, they should be willing to "come and get it" if it is free, and to spend the 2-5 hours themselves rowing over to Xanadu and looking for their friends.  they should never reselldonated boats for a profit but instead "pass on the love" to other new or returning players. 

LOANER CABINS

For those who decide to stay on Indy, but want a quiet remote area to reacquaint themselves to the game, I'm suggesting some of us make available 1-4 weeks free stay at a guesthouse where they can prowl around on their own, byuild their own replacement tools or rowboat, explore for a new homestead site, or whatever they like. Again these would be "but you got to get here on your own" arrangements -- some of them will love the challenge of running cross-country naked with only an outdated map, others might want a place easier to get to.

LOWGRADE REPLACEMENT TOOLS

These are not enchanted uber tools and in many cases, are just spare copies of the 10Q non improvable newbie tools, but even those might be enough to help a returning player acquire some iron, chop a few trees, and remake their own tools. They might only need a steel & flint, a hatchet , a pickax and a carving knife to get started. 

ADOPT-A-RETURNEE

Some want more social contact, but not really a full village, so here they can ask if anyone will "adopt" them for 1-2 weeks to help them reacclimate to the game. This might be a little more hands on than just a loaner cottage and involve someone willing to talk them through how to play the game with all of the new changes.

Homestead Location Services

Some of us know of great spots that are a bit off the beaten road, and would be happy to guide someone to these areas. In some cases they might be close to starter spawn but in other cases, they might be an hour or two out. Many returning vets are happy to make a one to two hour run so long as they know there is a good open spot for them at the end of the run. A mine and a nearby guard tower are always a big plus! 

Yes they can always just ask for help in public chat -- some may be shy especially if they have found public chat too "aggressive" in the past, or asked for help and felt ignored,  so this is a more protected private place for them to ask.  Also if they ask for help ingame and get little response, people can PM them a link to this thread to maybe get additional help.

Yes they can always just join an established village -- some are shy making a commitment with people they do not know, or they REALLY want to do it on their own just need a small jumpstart help.

Current players can post here various resources they can offer ("I'll offer rowboats, you get them today but must send me the 1 silver whenever you can afford it, even if it is weeks from now" etc etc. Whatever the terms they want to set -- cash up front or a promise to pass the boat on to another newbie etc. If you are offering a remote area cottage, then pictures and a map might be nice plus whatever terms you want to set ("If you do not log in for 15-20 days, you are kicked off the writ") 

For starters, I have a couple of "temporary use" guesthouse cottages in remote areas where they can get shelter, trees, mine access, I will post some maps and pix later, bit post here a request if you are interested in a free loaner cottage in a remote "hermit" area, where you can be alone to rediscover the game.  Another project I would like to do "later down the road" is to clean up some old abandoned deeds that might make a great "first homestead" for a new player but are currently littered with ugliness and broken mines. I enjoy digging up old concrete slabs and replanting it with trees, repairing old guard towers,  I am sure others enjoy "fixing" broken old mines etc, so maybe we can also clean up some ugly areas down the road and turn Indy beautiful and slum-free once more. 

Edited by Brash_Endeavors
  • Like 8

This is a fantastic idea! I'm not sure I can offer anything at the moment but I will revisit this once i'm finished construction on my new deed.

I would be happy to have a returning vet - or an active newbie, who will eventually go prem - come to my village in SW Xanadu.

Cheers, Baloo :)

Llama has facilities both on Indy and Xanadu (6 deeds, some currently uninhabited but all have houses and mines and are built up) to take in returning vets to get them back on their feet whether they choose to stay in the Llama family or start their own deed. Can't offer a free rowboat but we do sail to Xanadu a few times a week so when ready, they can easily hop on a boat and take a trip to Xanadu from Indy, or back to Indy, and have a place to stay on Xanadu within the same Llama organization.

Here's original recruitment thread.  http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/100906-llama/

If interested PM Salbian, Fineal, Sentientpeanutbutter, or Dantuin. Transportation may even be available if the timing is right.

p.s. Rosedragon was nice enough to allow my newb alt Finean to use her facilities even though I told her I was an established player just wanting to have an alt near FM. She gave me a bed and access to her workshop forges, meals, her mine, and tree farm. Don't let her know I said she's nice.  I don't want to get fed to the crocs, locked in a cave, or tortured!

Edited by Fineal
  • Like 1

I have a Devout (70+ faith) Priest of Fo, plus an all-rounder character (Digger/Carpenter titles) that appear to have been evicted from my former town. I would be interested in the Homestead location services you discussed.  I'd probably prefer a size 5 deed of my own, but near to active communities that would like to hunt, trade and work on community projects.  

I'd probably prefer a size 5 deed of my own, but near to active communities that would like to hunt, trade and work on community projects.  

Hi Yasgur, I think we chatted briefly in October 2011, mostly because I knew a Yasgur from the bethesda elder scrolls forums and thought it might be the same person (if I recall, you said that you were not the same Yasgur, though both of you may have been named after the famous Woodstock area farmer.)

If you have been away from the game since 2011, there is a lot of catching up to do! One change is that Indy is no longer the most populous server -- that's now the new Xanadu server that has 4x SIXTEEN TIMES the land mass of Indy (yes it is freakin' HUGE) and 6x the population of Indy. Many of us staying behind on Indy are pretty quiet, many are single-resident deeds. A lot (not all) of the larger villages headed for the excitment of the newest and "biggest ever"  server.

Llama City  (see Fineal's post above) may be one of the best bets for a  bustling village nearby to your own new place, so I;d probably  PM Fineal, Equinox, Sentientpeanutbutter to find out if there is open homestead land in their area (I bet there is, there is open land most everywhere if you know where to look). It might even be worth camping out at Llama City for a week while you scout the local areas near them. 

Thanks Brash,  I'll contact the Llamas.  What I could really use is a taxi service. I've got 7 years of possessions that I'm attached to (I know, silly), but they make travel on foot an adventure  since the roads are crawling and I'm so far from the Howl.

I actually participated in the Xmas 2011 impalong and spent the first half of 2012 experimenting with horse breeding in my village.  After awhile it seemed as I was the only one from the village online, so I lost interest.  It seems there were a few short rebirths, but now it seems most have abandoned it.  

If there continue to be community events on Indy, I'd rather not have to walk 2 hours to be a part of them.

Whereabouts are you and your Pile O Stuff?

Someone may also have a spare Large Cart and Horse (if your characters are premmed up and can drive one) to at least get you and your belongings   off the roadside.

I have a large cart but no horse.  I walked from where I was dragging the large cart with my priest and running from tower to tower with my worker.  I made it to Ultimarus where I ran into an aged champ troll. I'll be staying inside for a bit   :unsure:

Sentientpeanutbutter from the nearby Llama conglomerate came to the rescue!  

I know a few places i could show you for homesteading near me as well yasgur

Lately it seems we've been getting more and more old players logging in to find that the places they once knew are overgrown and abandoned. So there is still a need for this. We've received 3 people just this past week alone.

Edited by Fineal

If you are a new or returning player, and need a helping hand with some starting tools, I offer a free 90ql blacksmithing made tool to all, if you need a few tools they will be at 70ql :)

With the recent sale of our large settlement, I went away for months. Came back recently, bought even larger land. This now needs a lot of massaging, so if any returning people with a credible history shows up and needs some help, I wouldn't mind helping either. Order of the Mare's nest is new land, north of Dragon Fang mtn.