Sign in to follow this  
yetian

Falconguard canal M22, vandalism problem.

Just to let anyone in the area of P22 and Falconguard know, that we have a bit of a vandalism problem.

The people at Falconguard worked on a really nice canal to connect the lakes north and south of their deed. They haven't deeded the canal as it's a public canal and I can understand if they didn't want to pay the extra upkeep required to deed over its. I'm aware of the "deed it or lose it" saying and am simply posting this to let people know if anyone tries to sail up there. The canal was created by some good natured players to allow passage between two lakes. They even lent me their cart and horses to carry away from of the dirt for use on my deed. :)

The canal has been destroyed by someone dropping a ton of signs everywhere and loads of dirt to fill the canal in.

Myself (Naitey/Harmony) and friends will help fix it when we can. I myself won't be on again until Tuesday night due to work so will help if it's still not fixed by then.

I'm hoping when fixed we can get the GM's to set it as a heritage site (before the player wrecks it again).

Edited by yetian

My place was ruined as well in this vandalism attempt. My perimeter had a road between our two deeds which is now 40+ slopes and all of the cobble removed (clay slopes, as well). I'm able to fix it, and I know who did it, and I understand the whole "deed it or lose it" - but this is blatant griefing, there's no accident here, no one trying to deed or make a home, just two neighbours who had a bunch of their hard work ruined for no other reason other than anger towards us. 

Please add your deeds to the public map so the public to understand what you are talking about (on a public forum).

Edit: although I understand this is a local matter and all, we are still curious.

2nd edit: ah there was an error in the OP, now I understand much better where we are :)

Edited by Cista

It's not M22 it's P22 ...

its this place

a7yV0VN.jpg

was the canal

RZRmXs8.jpg

this is the canal now...

AUhbE0K.jpg

Edited by Ted

I did mention the map location in my initial post. I posted here for the public as anyone who lives in the area and passes through that canal might not know what has happened.

My deed Bradda Cove is on the map as is Nexus Landing. The canal is just south of Nexus Landing. Falconguard is not added to the map as I didn't want to add someone's deed without asking their permission first.

@Ted, sorry I just edited that location before I saw your reply. Thanks for reminding me tough, not sure where I got that from. :)

Edited by yetian

Good luck with geting this fixed... sad to see such vandalism. :(

And it looked so nice on the daylight in-tact picture.

That seems like a pretty good example of griefing.  Who was the person who did this?  At the very least, we should know who needs to be KOS'ed.

• Like 1

@Seancarl As far as I know public naming of people is against the forum rules, not sure on the ruling if you were to ask me via PM though.

@Seancarl As far as I know public naming of people is against the forum rules, not sure on the ruling if you were to ask me via PM though.

If you know names this is a great time to do a /support call and let GMs handle it. Those players aren't going to be able to explain this one away very easily.

If you know names this is a great time to do a /support call and let GMs handle it. Those players aren't going to be able to explain this one away very easily.

we do this ... and he check the problem

Sucks to see people take advantage of the removal of the FCC. =/

Undeeded land is fair game for "griefing" now, even perimeters are anything-goes areas. We asked for definitions of what would be considered griefing after the FCC removal, and never really got a clear answer. It'll be handy if the outcome of this clarifies exactly what they now consider griefing to be.

On the plus side, the people doing this probably will get tired of ruining it, before you get tired of fixing it. =)

Im no Sherlock Holmes, but from the looks of the screenshots, its seems the griefer must have used the existing BSB's + crates + dirt piles that most likely was full of dirt.

I dont understand why someone would spend their time doing this? This is a game, so how is acting like this fun? Not to mention the fact that Xanadu is so big, Im currently on Independence and still rarely see people in my local at either of my two deed locations. Theres more than enough space for everyone on this massive map so theres no reason why you cant move someplace without anyone around. 

Is there somebody living nearby who didn't want a canal there? I know canals are convenient but it seems often they look unsightly and can inhibit movement around the area on land (bring on the bridges)

For either party, deed it and the problem is solved in your favour.

The canal makers have now expanded over the canal. 

@Tissotx I think they probably did use the existing sand/dirt. I meant to go grab some more of that myself and didn't. :( 

@Andobi I agree, bring on the bridges. :)

I've had troubles similar to this one once on independance - the culprits used the existing dirt there too... I have a feeling that the griefers are much less likely to do it if they have to cart the dirt there themselves, as opposed to the (dubious) thrill of an opportunist grief - if locking all of the bsbs is not ideal, keeping a ship (ideally a knarr) with crates close-by for storage might be. that way you could set friends to be able to access inventory and take dirt away if they need to. Not sure if it would eliminate the problem, but I imagine it would make it too much of an effort for most vandals. You can keep the ship in the canal, and move it along as the project progresses!

But yes, bridges please :D

Edited by flinty

For future reference, if the canal benefits a lot of players you may apply to a GM to request heritage status for it. Can be a tunnel, canal, or any sort of construction that is beneficial in any fashion for the community. Heritage status functions roughly like highway protection:)

Edited by Alyeska

Well, griefing is now case-case basis, "intent" being the main determining factor.... 

Someone strips someone else's perimeter down to rock layer, it's clear griefing but "i needed the dirt" kiiinda grayzones it.

Gathering several hundreds, or thousands of dirt just to drop on a canal and surrounding roads, destroying pavement, making signs to plant... 

Griefer gets no benefit whatsoever, no profit, no raw material gain, no skillgain (FC from signs, got more exp staying home making more signs to imp).   CLEAR griefing for the purpose of griefing someone, person responsible should be banned as I for one can't see a single gray area in this case.

• Like 4

The canal has been destroyed by someone dropping a ton of signs everywhere and loads of dirt to fill the canal in.

This sounds like a clear case of griefing. As far as I know GMs can see who made the signs.

Are heritage sites still protected after highway protection was removed?

Edited by DKSprocket

This sounds like a clear case of griefing. As far as I know GMs can see who made the signs.

Are heritage sites still protected after highway protection was removed?

Heritage sites are fully protected from any changes at all I believe.

Highways are still protected aren't they? Enclosure rules have officially been removed, but I don't recall anything said about highways so far since the initial thread saying "this might be going".

Have I missed something? I'd appreciate a link to catch up if so.

There's been no changed to the Highway rule to date.

Well, griefing is now case-case basis, "intent" being the main determining factor.... 

Someone strips someone else's perimeter down to rock layer, it's clear griefing but "i needed the dirt" kiiinda grayzones it.

Might just have to ask, though, "The dirt on this perimeter was really the last dirt available on Xanadu?"  I mean, 5-year-olds are really cute when they think they've figured the best excuse ever, and then look amazed when they're figured out... but captain obvious can just call it.

Seemed like a good looking canal!  I remember the first time I went through one was on Exodus... I was impressed.

Does this one mean a local would now have to go all the way around the lakes rather than simply cross that land-bridge?

Either way, clearly dialogue would have been the correct option.  My money is on the players represented in this post having taken their neighbors into consideration, and this being the result of unrelated angst in the griefer.

@Teksan - the canal has been "repaired" already. Ted did a lot of work and when i came back from work i offered to help him with a mate of my village. In the end we only had to do a bit dredging because Ted was almost finished, but hell, the Canal work's again.

Hint: There's a small passage that the larger ships Need to be pushed through as Long as there are no bridges ingame.

Might just have to ask, though, "The dirt on this perimeter was really the last dirt available on Xanadu?"  I mean, 5-year-olds are really cute when they think they've figured the best excuse ever, and then look amazed when they're figured out... but captain obvious can just call it.

Was being relatively sarcastic :3

@Teksan Dialogue was tried by both myself and another player. Also Stargrace built a road from her deed just east of the canal which heads north to Nexus Landing and then there is shallow clay area that can be walked/carted accross to the west side. To be honest though, the land west of the canal is mostly taken up by my place and Stargraces deed, apart from the mountain which a friend is currently trying to climb. ;) The rest is made up of massive cliffs that you need a boat to get past anyway, so there isn't much call for walking to the west of the canal.

Bridges will complete the travel options for the area once in. ;)

Edited by yetian