Sign in to follow this  
Xor

Custom Village or Alliance Tabbards / Flags / Banners Etc

Orignal Thread Archived here: http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/92128-custom-village-tabards-flags-banners-etc/

OP: 

Allow a Mayor or Deed Holder to purchase a custom skin for their Tabards / Wagons(to come) / banners / flags, etc. 

Charge something high, similar to what it would cost for you to form your own PMK which would allow the same kind of thing. 1g for a pmk, maybe 50-75s for a custom skin for tabards, useable for only your deed.

Orr, instead of deed holders / mayors, how about Heads of an Alliance?

I think it would add a lot of variety to the way deeds look and the players on freedom won't all look the same then running around in their tabards.

As I understand it, a PMK needs to work with one of the art guys to get this done, so maybe instead of accepting game coins, charge 50-75 Euros for their custom skin to be submitted and put into the game to be used by their deed?

Not sure how long it would take, or how much work it is on the dev team to add in the custom skins for a PMK, so maybe this just isn't plausible?

What does everyone think?

Had lots of positive reviews :D

• Like 4

might be a way to replace the settlement forms if it did not take to much time from the art in the game

+1 

If Rolf is looking for more ways to make money, he needs to look at Individual customization of deed, clothes and certain items. Or he could take some advice from most other game business models right now. People will always pay to look different or 'better' than other people. Call it a novelty, affix a price, make money. 

New banners, clothes, shoulder/cape objects.. things that make us look different. I know Wurm has come a long way from the male-only Vampire age, but lets continue that direction. 

• Like 3

Custom cosmetic slot that replaces your underwemps (noobie clothes) with a bought from the trader not-lost-on-death outfit that will show when you remove your armor. It's basic. It has no impact whatsoever on your gameplay skills. And it makes a buck. Monacle anyone?

• Like 2

It is a very profitable business model, selling cosmetics and should defiantly be looked at. I was just thinking about this for trader communities the other day but would defiantly much rather see it as an open thing for everyone. 

• Like 1

It is a very profitable business model, selling cosmetics and should defiantly be looked at. I was just thinking about this for trader communities the other day but would defiantly much rather see it as an open thing for everyone. 

• Like 1

But keep the microtransactions for only cosmetics please...

• Like 1

I think it was Vanguard that had a "Appearance" armor tab, this would overrule visually whatever you actually had on, so the you had one tab for stat armor and another tab for vanity armor/cothing. Vanguard had some really nice looking clothes & huge variety in armor so everyone looked a little different and you could pick the exact look you wanted. I really liked that system.   As far as microtransaction, while I like the idea of them being limited to cosmetic stuff, I also have always LOVED the fact that in Wurm, players make everything themselves, and COULD make everything in the game. I don;t think I want to see it evolve to a game where players make some things and other things are only bought at the company cash ship. 

Tailors and dyers especially deserve the chance to make a market niche for themselve by catering to the "luxury apparel vanity" market.  Why can;t they earn a living like the other crafter skills.

As far as tabards go, I lobbied before for a "warcraft style" of village emblems where the deed owner could pick from a preset group of logos then choose two custom colors to make their own "emblems" for flags, tabards, sails, horse barding, market stalls, etc. The mix and match of colors and symbols means you could actually have a pretty wide variety of results, without a lot of staff time approving each specific design and without the worry of inappropriate logos:

http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/54884-village-emblems/

village_emblems3.png

village_emblems.png

Edited by Brash_Endeavors
  • Like 4

+1 to tailors and dyers getting some love, and I like the idea of a variety of pre set partially custom logos for deeds.

However id still really like something of my own creation. I'd even go as far as saying having both would be fantastic.

It would bother me to see another village in the same colors and logo as myself. :/ no matter how many options, it will still be possible unless there are custom ones.

I love the idea of having a preset choice in cloth products for each village, but I think that truly custom ones should be reserved for large alliances only. Otherwise it is just something that the art team needs to maintain for a gigantic flood of people. Generally +1, but I think that caveat for large alliances (15+ probably like is required for PMKs) is important. 

What about creating a tailoring window to create semi - custom tabards and things like brash suggested? Increasing the customization options as skill increases?

I still want my custom styles though! :D

I also think 15 deeds is high, but could be achieved easily by someone pushing for it, so maybe as an alternative as long as your deed or alliances total upkeeps are over a certain point?

This needs to be implemented side by side with a PMK-lite version on the mainline Freedom servers. Let us set up PMKs with all the normal frills and pomp and functionality but lock out the PvP aspects. Call them Player Made Republics to differentiate them and sell us all the toys to play with.

I have LOTS of fun ideas for PMRs.

• Like 1

+1 to tailors and dyers being able to make more customised stuff

+1 for custom colors and such

BUT - enemy kingdoms always show up in base colors to enemy kingdoms so they can not camo themselves to a kingdoms color set

Also costume items are always a one up item for players - and masks capes and shoulder guards - even towers with custom designs -could be a big coin market and would not effect the game mechanics as its all costume not mechanics

+1 Definitely

I personally would like to see a mix of the two suggestions: Presets + colors for those that would like something different (Similar to renaming a deed maybe? 5s + cooldown period) but doesn't want to spend the silver for a fully custom one.

Even though the thought of dropping 100eur (about $134 USD in my parts) worth of silver for custom heraldry is a little scary for me.

Edited by Karthannar

A lot of the PvErs that have been avid proponents of truly customized heraldry fail to miss that point. While the 1g does not just go to custom art, that is the price to pay to have it instituted with the current system, plus at least 15 premium accounts in the area. I doubt many PvE deeds have, or want to have, that many people and spend that much for some custom designs.