Sign in to follow this  
Sevenless

Armor Crunch - v1.01 UI improved, Addy/Glim/Seryl plate added

How to use:

You can download the OpenOffice Calc spreadsheet from my google drive here. OpenOffice is free to use, and you can grab it from this link if you don't already have a program that can run this.

The blue numbers are openly modifiable, change them as you want to compare the different values against different qualities of armour. Follow the instructions given to compare relative effectiveness of armors as desired.

Example with all armors at Q80:

c0KbyVE.png

Important Notes:

Assumption: Glance value per quality uses the same formula as Damage Reduction.

Assumption: Glance values ignore enemy FS/Wepskill.

Assumption: Addy/Glimmer/Seryll Plate use the same glance values as Steel Plate.

Non Numerical Issue: Movement Speed not useful in this type of spreadsheet.

Non Numerical Issue: Burst damage / Eyesocket vulnerability are not considered.

Sheet Protection Password: wurm

Sources:

This tool is taking known information, and fully calculating the implications if that data is correct. If this data turns out to be wrong, or outdated, errors will show up in the output. If you feel this information is incorrect, please feel free to collect some data to disprove it so I can update the model appropriately. Currently this tool contains no research of my own, this may change in the future.

Armor DR values/formula

Protection

Armour protects by increasing glance rates and reducing damage taken from hits. The damage taken can be calculated by multiplying the damage that would be taken with no armour with a multiplier. The multiplier is given by the following equation; multiplier = (modifier * ql * ql) / 200000 - (modifier * ql) / 1000 + 0.95, where ql is the armour quality (if the quality is below 2, it is counted as 2) and the modifier is given for the armour types below:

Cloth 7 Leather 8 Studded Leather 9 Chain 10 Drake Hide / Steel Plate 13 Dragon Scale / Adamantine Plate 14 Glimmersteel Plate / Seryll Plate 15

Glance Percentages with further explanation of their source here

wL4pnJY.png

Old versions:

OAtJTgR.png

Edited by Sevenless
  • Like 7

Flame = lava, lava fiend, lava spider perhaps....

As in it just copied the flame value. Wasn't sure if they dealt bruising/cutting damage or not since it's been a while since I've seen any XD. Kind of a useless trait since they're rarely seen in large numbers. But the light armors really suck against flame damage it seems.

Only thing that I didn't really have a grasp of beforehand is that it seems piercing weapons are a bad idea in plate dominated pvp. I'm sure pvpers know this by now, but news to me.

Edited by Sevenless

Nice table, goes to show dragon armours aren't THAT much better than plate, only lighter.

• Like 1

Nice table, goes to show dragon armours aren't THAT much better than plate, only lighter.

Assuming same quality (You can download the table to play with it if you want :D ). When you get realistic about imping costs, Dragon wins out since it's much cheaper to get to 80 than plate is. Long-long run that is >.> like 4-5 years probably... annnnyway.

I'm also genuinely offended at how light/low on mobility restriction scale is. Literally the second fastest in the game, and an amazing armour. Never realized how insane that stuff is!

Edited by Sevenless

Assuming same quality (You can download the table to play with it if you want :D ). When you get realistic about imping costs, Dragon wins out since it's much cheaper to get to 80 than plate is. Long-long run that is.

I'm also genuinely offended at how light/low on mobility restriction scale is. Literally the second fastest in the game, and an amazing armour. Never realized how insane that stuff is!

Yup, powerlevelled many a toon from 1-70FS in my suit before I sold it, but dont think I need it anymore which is why I'm "downgrading" to plate.

Yup, powerlevelled many a toon from 1-70FS in my suit before I sold it, but dont think I need it anymore which is why I'm "downgrading" to plate.

Edited by Sevenless

Assuming same quality (You can download the table to play with it if you want :D ). When you get realistic about imping costs, Dragon wins out since it's much cheaper to get to 80 than plate is. Long-long run that is >.> like 4-5 years probably... annnnyway.

oakshell is better

Any numbers/data on how that works? Big kicker being the Fo in tow requirement. I've been curious to test it, but the numbers are rather obfuscated so I'm being lazy.

Any numbers/data on how that works? Big kicker being the Fo in tow requirement. I've been curious to test it, but the numbers are rather obfuscated so I'm being lazy.

From what i understand, the power of the oakshell is equivalent of scale

ie 90 power = 90ql scale

no movement penalty and payer delivers kicks swell as normal weapon.

From what i understand, the power of the oakshell is equivalent of scale

ie 90 power = 90ql scale

no movement penalty and payer delivers kicks swell as normal weapon.

Does it stack at all then? Or just replace stats it's better than.

My Fo is gonna be needing armour for her FS training so this is neat to know

Which is why Fo priests can actually do really well in combat, Oakshell + Bearpaws + Heals = Juggernaut

• Like 2

Does it stack at all then? Or just replace stats it's better than.

My Fo is gonna be needing armour for her FS training so this is neat to know

If there is armor on a certain part (like a hand) oakshell will NOT cover it, be sure to be in your birthday suit if you use that spell.

Which is why Fo priests can actually do really well in combat, Oakshell + Bearpaws + Heals = Juggernaut

Less gear to worry about losing :P

Im not too sure you are looking at the same table as me but it seems that drake amor is significantly better than plate.

Im not too sure you are looking at the same table as me but it seems that drake amor is significantly better than plate.

Anything less than 5% isn't statistically significant, that table shows plate to average around 80% and drake around 84%

Anything less than 5% isn't statistically significant, that table shows plate to average around 80% and drake around 84%

That's kind of a twisting of p value, these aren't test values, they're deterministic formulas. Per fight you wouldn't tell the difference overly well, but in the long run it would matter.

IF you don't use LT. With LT involved the difference would be negligible I agree.

Moved to Toolbelt.

^_^ Thanks shrimpiie. Would have put it here but I don't have creation rights it seems.

When I get some more motivation I'm probably going to redo this to be more friendly UI wise, and also thinking of doing some work with weapon damage types.

Also have to completely revise my opinion about plate vs scale. 5% net difference when going from 15% damage taken to 20% damage taken is actually a 33% increase in the net amount of damage taken.

You take an additional third more damage in plate than in scale. Using realistic values for quality of armour (80), plate lets through 22% damage vs scale's 16%. 37.5% more damage taken in plate than in scale overall.

Edited by Sevenless
  • Like 1

This is wrong. Plate does certainly not give 80% damage reduction at 100ql, let alone 90.

This is wrong. Plate does certainly not give 80% damage reduction at 100ql, let alone 90.

There's a difference between flat damage reduction (plate gives 70% of that at q100) and effective damage mitigation (plate gives 77.5%->88.0% depending on the specific damage type in question).

Lets say you have 100 maul hits. 25% of those are glanced since mauling damage has a 25% glance rate against plate at q100. That leaves 75 hits that land on you. Plate now reduces 70% of the damage, so only 30% of that damage actually shows up on the character screen. That means you actually take 75 * 0.3 damage, or effectively the damage of a full 22.5 hits.

22.5 is damage taken, 100 - 22.5 is the damage reduced. Therefor your net reduction is 77.5% damage. This number isn't obvious though because it's hard to eyeball total damage reduction when some just never hits you, and what's left is reduced by a percentage.

Side note: 90%? No where on that table does any armour exceed 90% reduction. The highest in the game is plate's 88% reduction to piercing damage. I realize the UI is pretty messy and I'm intending to update it, it's not really overly friendly.

Edited by Sevenless

Nvm I thought the top right table was for pure damage reduction ignoring glance rates.

Nvm I thought the top right table was for pure damage reduction ignoring glance rates.

Oh sorry, not at all. Like I said, gotta work on that UI as it's fairly confusing (albeit mathematically correct). So definitely my bad, thanks for commenting though :) Always good to double check.

Sorry about that :) Have you tested that glance rates follow the same formula as damage reduction?

Edited by Lau