Sign in to follow this  
RedBaron_Johan

News Update: Work And Progress. Week 19

LssNW19L.jpg

Hello Fellow Wurmians!

Welcome everyone to this weeks news.

Last week the post was a bit early which I know must have made you very confused.

But Thursday was another on of those lovely "red days" we have here in Sweden so probably you know how it goes.

Fact: 1st of may and Valborg in Sweden, which was the occasion for the last red days, is when Swedes go out and scream their opinions about politics then gather to burn huge piles of wood.

You could say we rage, rant and flame. I have never felt closer to the Wurm community ;)

Sorry Wurmians, I am only kidding obviously.

But enough of my ranting, it is time to share some news!

Enclosures

The enclosures outside deeded tiles are no longer protected and the changes that has been announced and discussed for so long is now finally in full effect.

With this new change we are also bringing in the new player tent which will provide the player with a basic protection needed to start experiencing the game.

This will be in sometime soon after this weekend.

Tents

NPTent.jpg

Kingdom neutral New Player Tent.

The tent works like this.

All new players receive a tent which decays after a few weeks in the wild.

The tent is a personal container which protects your items on the non-PvP servers where nobody is allowed to access it.

It is lockable, so you can use it on PvP servers as well.

You can hitch a creature to it, which prevents it from moving and anyone else from taking it (on non-PvP servers).

A feature which will have some very interesting impacts is that you can spawn at tents if they are located inside your own kingdom.

You can pick the tent up to move it to a more desirable location if you so choose.

This will make it interesting in a number of ways mainly for explorers but also on the PvP servers.

At least one other type of tent will come soon which will be available for everyone.

What we are thinking about is a sort of "War Tent" for use in PvP situations as a temporary spawn point for which allowed placement is being discussed.

But as this is only a sneaky reveal it is far from a finished concept. How about some opinions on this?

For now, I will leave you with these screens of such tents, intended for our dear freedom and Hots players.

FrTent.jpg

The Freedom tent, experience the ultimate freedom.. In a tent.

HotsTent.jpg

The Hots tent, enjoy the dark.. In a tent.

Xanadu

So we are now ready to announce the release date of our Mega Server Xanadu!

Get ready for one truly epic land rush event on june 3rd 18.00 CEST.

You Wurmians are the first to know of this but we will later advertise this on mmorpg.com with a pretty major campaign.

Ships

Work is progressing and most of the code is done.

What we need to do now is to get all of the new ship models in the game engine to start the final tests and setting placement markers for seating arrangements.

Exciting times!

Tutorial Area

Just wanted to give you a quick update on the progress of the tutorial with this screenshot.

TutS.jpg

Click Image for a Larger Version

On the top right corner of the image is where new players start.

From there they can chose to go straight for the portal and into the game, portals is in top left corner.

The other option is taking a clearly marked side entrance to the tutorial village.

As you can see there is several buildings and they all have different themes and tutorials which are triggered around the map.

So that is all for this week and no I do not know no eta on the fluffy sheep's!

Neither do I know if they are going to be milkable or a craftable item made from cotton, sticks, dreams and marmalade.

What I do know is the developers keep on developing and the Wurmians they

Keep on Wurming!

• Like 35

War tents hell yeah!

Will need a lot of revision though ^^

+1

Xanadu will have a connection to the rest of the servers?

love the tents, they will make nomadic Wurm a bit more fun for those times when you just want to get off deed. 

Can you hitch your horses to the war tent as well? That will make hunting so much fun!

• Like 1

Glad to hear some progress on ships =)

Hope to see many tents around spawn area forests haha.

+1 war tents, a lot better than creating 1x1 shacks.

Portal to bipass tutorial means everyone will bipass and not know how to play. Should be a quiz or something before accessing portal.

• Like 1

I don't get it. They're telling us to get ready for "one truly epic land rush event", but all existing players (that is everyone reading this right now), has to either start an alt or wait it out for a week.

I wouldn't call it an epic land rush..... since we are unable to "get ready" because we're locked out of said land rush.

Edited by syncaidius
  • Like 7

Spawn points for new players... safe container and possibility to hitch your horse... amazing news! :D

Also great to now have an ETA for Xanadu server.

All in one - great job once again!

• Like 1

Freedom camping tent ( not a fan of a freedom "war tent"):

1. Pack it up and load into a wagon.

2. large container that can securely hold stuff.

3. spawn at the tent when you die.

4. Has a build in "bed" so you can use it to get sleep bonus.

5. Can hitch a few horses to it. and since the animals won't move how about a better way to feed them? Dropping piles of food isn't too good as animals eat from piles far in excess of is needed to keep them at fat.

• Like 2

So basically the tent works like a movable minideed without size but with its built-in storage and a creature slot.

I mean it might be the most important thing that wurm sorely lacked from day 1.

I would rather have tent #1 but if you are going to keep the ones shown for war tents then where is the green on the freedom one? I would have expected it to be mostly green not blue i thought it was JK until i read the title below the SS. 

Please make owner be able to load their market stall, so we can complete the gypsy/caravan life. Unload merchant stall, plant merchant with your goods and you can go out hunting or log off in the tent next to a campfire.

• Like 19

More beautiful additions to these Wurm lands. The design on that red tent looks very nice with some fine details to it, so I am sure it will make a good impression on new players for that aspect alone. The feature of hitching a horse (creature) to it then being protected is helpful as well. Also the ability to respawn at its location will be extremely helpful to them. No more being lost to your basecamp (tent) and items stored there forever. These tent features seem well thought out to me. It will be interesting to find out about the features of the "tent available to everyone". If they incorporate these similar ones they will be a great help to those who like to travel around for a while and return to their base camp tent location should they come to unfortunate circumstances due to aggro mob pesterings.

The new Tutorial looks very impressive for more positive effect upon the new player experience, so it is encouraging to see that they are being given this attention. No doubt I will be giving it a thorough inspection once the need for a new alt creation for Xanadu is enabled. Glad to see that release date published! 

All in all, more positive additions to the Wurm experience for those who have shown the patience to await their arrival. Encouraging to see the game continuing to develop in this positive direction. Well done!

=Ayes=

Heh had always figured tents as basically a writ with collapsible, wood-framed, rope-bound cloth walls:

Every time the subject of tents come up, I envision them akin to the same housing mechanics we already have. Instead of wood or stone, we erect cloth walls using pre-made frames of wood and cloth, perhaps even some rope. Autoroof maybe.

Only difference from other housing is that the cloth walls can be disassembled back into their components.

Cloth walls would be weaker than wood of course (slower decay than wood?); however, the overall structure would work the same way as other housing including permissions.

In fact it would be nice if we can use the cloth walls in combination with the other housing walls.

Perhaps leave that for some large-scale circus-modeled tent. The OP seems better suited for small 1x1 tents.

The hitching and spawning adds some nice possibilities. Keeping the spawn within kingdom is a good limitation imho.

Personally even the starter tent should be a premium perk. People creating a bunch of freebie alts is a concern unless its made untradeable, then sure even Basics.

Also as a thief, Im not sure how I feel about a 100% secure storage... or will the "chest" be pickable?

Awesome update, love the new tents, such a fantastic solution for new players. 

Little sad about the Xanadu date, was hoping it was more in the range of 2 weeks out just due to work but I am but one man, and the world shall not bend for me.

Isn't it basically an immobile Large Cart with built-in identification?

Not sure how I feel about war tents. Could be amazing, could have unforseen unfair effects maybe. We'll just have to see how it plays out, here's to them hopefully being a useful and fun addition.

Fact: 1st of may and Valborg in Sweden, which was the occasion for the last red days, is when Swedes go out and scream their opinions about politics then gather to burn huge piles of wood.

Hey, sounds just like the Town Square forum!

On a related note, great work on the tents guys. That red starting tent, as Ayes already said, looks very good and will make a great first impression on new players. And I believe tents are a unique concept. I don't remember a game where as a new player I was handed a tent. I do have a question, though...

Is hitching an animal to the tent the only way to prevent it from being picked up? Because if that's the case, newbies may be confused by that. In the areas where they spawn, there are few animals they can tame... they usually don't run across a horse or a bison for days. For all I know, you have already foreseen this and attached instructions to the tent for new players, which will be helpful, but if the only way to prevent your tent from being just picked up is to hitch an animal to it, newbies may have a problem here.

Great work, though. I am very excited about the upcoming ships too. Go sea!

Edited by Valdor

"The tent decays after a few weeks in the wild", does this mean that it only dissapears when its set in the wild. Or will it leave the new characters inventory after a few weeks to (like the newbie light and buffs)?

Other then that, nice additions :)

EDIT: Does the new tutorial area look rather chaotic again in design, or is it just me? I understand you want to show of every possible wall/roof/floor/fence/... but that always kinda made it ugly for me.

Would be nice if the tutorial village was themed in a certain look, maybe give examples of other fences/roofs/... in small pop-ups or something (when a newbie right clicks a fence/roof for example).

EDIT 2: To expand on the tutorial-chaos, maybe give the tutorial area a medival city look. With a central castle where the players spawn and then they can go of to different buildings to learn a few game-mechanics:

* Church = Explain priests, what they can and cant do

* Blacksmith = Let them make basic stuff like nails (raw materials available in bulkbins)

* Tavern = explain the basics of cooking ingame

* Stables = explain how animal breeding works, maybe show them the fun little stuff like how you can groom animals, milk cows, ...

* Farmland = learn how to sow, harvest, tend.

* Orchard = explain how fruit trees work, the seasons, ....

* Small forest = let them cut the right trees, learn them to make basic wooden tools

* Battle Camps = give them a very short explanation how armour/weapons work, let them choose a certain agro to spawn so they can fight it

* The Mines = Let them see various veins, let them mine a bit

And many many more.

All this on a free-to-choose-what-to-learn setup.

They simply start at the castle and from there directions are given to the various buildings/areas where the can learn more about certain aspects of the game.

If they dont want to be bothered with mining, they simply ignore the mining tutorial. If they want to blacksmith like there is no tomorrow, they choose the smithy to try out the rich metal-tool crafting system.

(anyways, nvm my ranting here, thats just how I always invisioned the Wurm tutorial to be :D)

Edited by Lycanthropic
  • Like 2

EDIT: Does the new tutorial area look rather chaotic again in design, or is it just me? I understand you want to show of every possible wall/roof/floor/fence/... but that always kinda made it ugly for me.

Would be nice if the tutorial village was themed in a certain look, maybe give examples of other fences/roofs/... in small pop-ups or something (when a newbie right clicks a fence/roof for example).

from what i can see it does not look that nice but i guess it has to function well too..idk guess we'll find out soon enough

Edit: I guess what i would expect to see it lush walkways with bushes and trees lining them all the way to the next event spot add in a fountain or statue every now and then with houses and flower pots and horses in pens. 

Edited by Kegan