Dannyiron

Questions and Answers Thread: Ask your Question!

Silberry, there is no minimum on guard towers that I know of.  I had a brand new villager who built 2 guard towers in about his first week.  Needles to say, I made sure he had good tools if he was willing to work that hard!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Ayes said:

Well I have never noted Keenan confirming your claim multiple times, or even a few

It's not "my claim". It's established fact and has been verified by developers on these forums.

This was not added recently; it has presumably always been this way. The reason people didn't really notice before is because inbreeding's effect is fairly subtle as long as you actually cull bad traits and have stock whose traits are already pretty decent.

I don't know why you're clamoring for an explanation. Is "it's been confirmed by both developers and independent sources" not good enough for you? In that case, I have no idea what to say to you, because that's the best information you will ever possibly get about anything.

If you don't even believe me that Keenan said it in the first place, then I'll do what you could do just as easily and find his forum post saying as much:

It took about 10 seconds of Googling to find that.

EDIT: From IRC, just now:

[16:13:06] <Keenan> Copy this: Parents are not listed when dead because we can't look up their names. We do have their IDs and the IDs are checked for inbreeding. It has been this way forever. Inbreeding isn't a huge factor though, especially when the parents have a lot of traits.
[16:13:14] <Keenan> And she can PM me on here if she wants.

[16:14:11] <Keenan> I also use the very same IDs when doing stats on creatures. It's how we know the critter in question was bred or wild.

Edited by Ostentatio
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Ostentatio said:

It took about 10 seconds of Googling to find that.

Thank you for that link. I was thinking of making a new topic on this inbreeding issue but since I see there was already some discussion on this no need to take it further.

I have to admit that my response was a bit snippy but I was really caught by surprise that this ID inbreeding information was included on the Wurmpedia. I don't like providing inaccurate information to others so I guess I got a bit defensive as well. The old tradition of killing off the parents to prevent inbreeding was widely followed for so many years.

Old traditions die hard so I will still kill off the parents if only out of superstition that it may have some positive effect on inbreeding prevention. Not going to state with some authority to anyone that it actually prevents it though. I will leave it to Keenan and others to make such bold assertions one way or the other on this particular topic.

=Ayes=

• Like 1

I apologize for being defensive myself. It's just that it seems every time some myth is busted, there's a lot of blowback about it that I'm not sure I understand, so I tend to overreact when people are suspicious of it.

• Like 2

Is the religion transfer still available post 1.3 for priests? If so, is there a faith penalty for switching? I can't find the thread anywhere. What is the command to change?

Thanks

OK I'll post a question here:  How do I track down a lost alt account?  

Years ago I had a priest alt.  I'm considering resurrecting him.  But I have no idea of the character's name.  Is there a way to find the account?  

If you have an email account and don't delete everything, try searching for wurm and maybe you will get lucky and find an old message mentioning the character

Thanks for the help guys.

Another question:  I heard somewhere that if you Bless an object with an enchantment, that will make it more difficult to Dispel the enchantment.  Is this true ? 

I have another new dumb question:  I recently somehow shrank my chat window (and all tabs) to a tiny thin horizontal line.  How do I get it back so where I can use it?  I tried dragging, clicking, double-clicking, closing and re-opening, etc.  And I can't ask for help in-game, because I can't chat.  Argh.  

I heard somewhere that if you Bless an object with an enchantment, that will make it more difficult to Dispel the enchantment.  Is this true ? 

I've not heard this.

I recently somehow shrank my chat window (and all tabs) to a tiny thin horizontal line.

There should be a thin grey line to the right of the chat tab names, double click that thin grey line.

Is the long spear good alternative for hunts (uniques slaying, rift mobs etc) instead of standard 2h weapons like huge axes and large mauls?

How do I level hfc? What is the most efficient route? Since stews are out of the question, seems like no one has information about it, most people seem to ignore the question. I have crops, I want to level without spending 5min each meal.

Teach me. :mellow:

Niki, before the update, I leveled HFV using stews but I played with meals too to check the difference... at the time, stews were marginally better for me because they gave slightly better characteristic gains and meals gave slightly better HFC gains.  Since we can still make meals the old way, I don't see why that wouldn't still work for you to grind HFC.

How do unique blood potions work? Do they wear off? Are there types to avoid?

If this already exists in a thread, please feel free to respond with the link. A cursory search resulted in mostly adverts.

Edited by drvst

On 12/16/2016 at 6:20 PM, Zephyr40k said:

OK I'll post a question here:  How do I track down a lost alt account?  

Years ago I had a priest alt.  I'm considering resurrecting him.  But I have no idea of the character's name.  Is there a way to find the account?  

A few thoughts on how to find the name.

If you did not move to another or format the computer you used, the name may be listed in player folder or in chat logs.

Also if you were a member of a village someone may be able to look at the villager names, if he is still a villager there and read the list to you and maybe the name will be familiar.

Another possibility would be to search your email for 'wurm'... somewhere there may be an email from when you first created him or prem'd him.

16 hours ago, drvst said:

How do unique blood potions work? Do they wear off? Are there types to avoid?

If this already exists in a thread, please feel free to respond with the link. A cursory search resulted in mostly adverts.

yes, they do wear off same as any other enchant in the game, the only difference is the way they are applied to the item. they can also be dispelled so make sure you properly enchant the item before adding imbue.

as for types to avoid, i did not hear of anything like that. the only thing i heard of a while back was that weapon smithing only affects the sub skills and is useless for actually improving weapons. however i can not be completely certain this hasnt been changed since.

there are still the frost and acid potion, i think they add a damage enchant to weapons however i have never seen anyone use them.

This is more about the game client than gameplay, but where do screenshots get stored by default? Searching my harddrive for the keyword "Wurm" or "wurm" isn't turning anything up for some reason and the game settings don't give an option to change the default save location so I can't use that to find where it is sending them.

1 hour ago, Cadh20000 said:

This is more about the game client than gameplay, but where do screenshots get stored by default? Searching my harddrive for the keyword "Wurm" or "wurm" isn't turning anything up for some reason and the game settings don't give an option to change the default save location so I can't use that to find where it is sending them.

Mine are located:   C:\Users\<user_name>\wurm\ players\Lawurm\screenshots   (this is on windows 7)

As you can set the location for these files when you first install the game look here for info on where they might be depending on your os etc..

http://www.wurmpedia.com/index.php/Client_Files

• Like 1

14 hours ago, lawurm said:

Mine are located:   C:\Users\<user_name>\wurm\ players\Lawurm\screenshots   (this is on windows 7)

As you can set the location for these files when you first install the game look here for info on where they might be depending on your os etc..

http://www.wurmpedia.com/index.php/Client_Files

Thanks!

Speaking of installing, when I first ran the installer it installed and gave me shortcuts, but as soon as I closed the game that time for some reason it seems to have deleted the game client, the shortcuts won't work giving an error about the file being referenced having been moved or deleted. After that anytime I wanted to play I could only start it by running the installer again, though there has been no need to redownload the packs or anything...weird. Oh, and no install options such as to put things in certain locations since that very first time.

Edited by Cadh20000

Which server selects by default, in wurm online it does not let me select a server upon starting the game?

7 hours ago, SomeT said:

Which server selects by default, in wurm online it does not let me select a server upon starting the game?

It sends you to the Golden Valley at the start. From there you enter a portal and select which main server you want to go to. 

Edited by Matholameu

What the heck is the point of the yoyo and toymaking in general?
Is there literally any use/point at all? For a game where every item should be useful for something, toys baffle me. 

P.S. Not trying to be rude. This is a genuine question I'd sincerely appreciate an answer to. Is there any use for toymaking or toys?

Edited by Matholameu

Someone please give me the link to a recipe spreadsheet, that is not the "unofficial" one. It had a person's name in the title - Nexa or Nessa. I keep losing that link.

If it was a google spreadsheet, open your google drive, click items linked to me, and it'll show a history of files you've opened.

Edited by Kelody